Armed With The Future

Start from the beginning

"What? How is that possible?"

"We don't know... I, of course, have my suspicions. I'm sure Emrys was involved-"

Morgause's head jerked at the name. "Emrys?"

"I'd better tell you the whole story." 

She did, and by Morgause's request, she left in even the most seemingly insignificant details. Her sister interrupted her occasionally, either asking a question or remarking at her sister's resilience, but fell silent when Morgana finally reached the end. 

"That's when I came to the hill to bury Mordred. The rest, I've already told you. I was approached by Kyulds."

The sisters sat in silence for a moment, Morgause giving Morgana time to recover from an hour of speaking and Morgana giving Morgause time to digest the information. 

Morgause rose and paced slowly in front of the ornate fire place. "So, that boy who came in here, that unassuming boy, that was...?"

"Yes. He's destined to be my doom."

"We won't let that happen," Morgause said firmly. 

"That's what I told myself the last time."

"Right," she said, moving closer to Morgana and lowering herself to her knees while Morgana remained on the bed. They clasped hands. "But now, I'm here. I would never let anything bad happen to you."

Morgana winced at the memory of those words tumbling out of her mouth, southing a young Mordred. The words didn't help him.

Again Morgause rose and returned to her pacing. "Emrys... it is a name I've heard before."

"Yes, an old druid legend. I discovered this early on with relief. I thought the druids would take my side, but they protected the identity of Emrys with their lives."

"It is not surprising. Emrys is a very important figure in their culture. He is supposed to be the most powerful sorcerer ever to walk the earth. It is rumored that he would be a warlock and a dragonlord too."

"Well, he certainly had a way with Aithusa."

"Based on your description, Aithusa was very young when she came into your care. Emrys would have been the one to hatch her."

The pit in Morgana's stomach deepened as she realized her only friend in those dark days had been more loyal to Emrys than to her. She truly had been alone.

Morgause, recognizing the look of despair darken on her sister's face tried to comfort her. "You mustn't worry about that now. It is in the past... or... the future... it is no matter." She put a hand on each shoulder, looking her straight in the eyes. "The world is in your control now Morgana. You know what everyone else does not. You can decide your own destiny as you see fit."

"That's what worries me. What if I choose wrong and I make things worse than they were in the first place?!"

"It's alright, you won't. That's what I'm here for. Together, we will think our every move through, we will comb over it with a fine tooth comb. However, Morgana... you must act exactly as you did all those years ago. For now, you must do everything the same."

"Why?"

"If something occurs that deviates the timeline, even slightly, our advantage could be lost. We would no longer have consistent or adequate knowledge of the future. Be honest, since you arrived in this time, have you performed exactly as you had done?" she asked urgently.

She thought for a moment. "No, I've done things slightly different, but nothing that could set off a chain of events."

"We can't be sure of that!" she snapped. "Sorry, this is just important, Morgana. I want what's best for you, what's best for us..."