Armed With The Future

Start from the beginning

Morgause broke away and stood. "Wait... no, manipulating time... it's impossible."

"I was skeptical at first too," she insisted, rising with her sister, trying her hardest to connect. "I was going to refuse him, believing it to be some sort of trick, but he said that he wasn't asking. He was going to send me back either way. I chose to return to the moment I met you."

Morgause shook her head. "If this is all true..."

"It is."

"Then... then..." she sat down again, processing the information.

"I know it must be a lot to take in..."

"You've understated it."

"I wish there was a better way to bring this upon you, but there are pressing matters I wish to discuss that are time sensitive and-"

There was a creak at the door which caused both women to jump. Morgause was up in an instant, sword ready and at the chest of the intruder. 

"What do you want?"

"I have a message from prince Arthur!" stuttered a flabbergasted Merlin. "He wants you to withdraw your challenge. Arthur has no desire to fight you. Now, if you withdraw he will grant you safe passage from the kingdom. Leave, now, while you still can."

She eyed him skeptically."If Arthur has no desire to fight me, then perhaps he should withdraw."

He laughed nervously. "No, he'll never do that, it's not in him to withdraw." It was in this moment that the serving boy spotted Morgana sitting on the bed. He eyed her with suspicious curiosity, but his main focus remained on the sword at his chest.

Morgause relaxed her grip on the blade. "Then we have that in common."

"If you fight him, he will have to treat you as he does any other opponent. It won't matter that you're a woman," he said, cringing slightly at the words as if ashamed to repeat his masters ignorant statement.  

"I do not ask for special treatment." She tossed her sword onto the bed.  

"Arthur has no quarrel with you. Why would you challenge him?"

She eyed him maliciously. "My reasons are not your concern."

"Don't put Arthur in a position where he's forced to kill you."

"Who's to say Arthur's life won't rest in my hands?"

"Right..." Merlin trailed off. Again his eyes fell on Morgana. He seemed to be trying to ask her a question with his eyes. "I'll let the prince know then," but he didn't move, begging Morgana to follow him out.

"Leave, boy!!"

"Right! Sorry!" he said hastily before scurrying out the door. 

After the door thudded shut and his footsteps faded into nothing, Morgause felt it safe enough to return to her sister. She sat next to her on the bed. 

"You spoke of matters that are time sensitive?"

"Indeed, but in order for you to understand you must know what I have been through and what I have seen."

"You'd better make haste of it then. I must be well rested for my battle with Arthur tomorrow."

Morgana shook her head. "You shouldn't bother. Nothing came of your plan."

She narrowed her eyes. "What do you mean? In four days time, Uther will be dead by his own son's hand and the kingdom will be thrown into chaos."

"No, Arthur returns from your quest and refrains from killing his father."