Chapter 11 Identity Theft Part One

One night a few months ago while waiting for Beta Jackson to get to his hookup date so I could take my 'allowance' from the trunk of his car. He was running late this morning. I was up a tree just waiting at a little after 5 AM on a Saturday morning and I saw a young human boy skateboarding in the middle of the street. I watched him as he practiced what seemed to be a hard move for him over and over. I thought what a dedicated little kid he was out there so early in the morning working so hard.

       Suddenly a car came speeding around the corner headed right for him! It was over in two blinks. The girl in the car slowed down and looked back for one second and saw the kid laying half in and half out of the street and just took off again! I quickly memorized the license plate number and then jumped down and ran to the kid.

(Graphic Imagery Warning / Skip two paragraphs if you want.)

       Something important was crushed and he couldn't breathe and blood was already dripping out of the corner of his mouth before I even got there. He only lasted another two minutes and I held him as he passed away. He looked right at me until the moment his eyes glazed over. I whispered lies to him that it was all going to be alright and help would be there soon. Soon another car came by and pulled over and asked me what was going on and I told them and they got on their cell phone and called in to 911. I told him the license plate number of the person who hit him and he told the dispatcher.

       I gently laid the body down that I was still holding and told the man I needed to wash my hands. I showed him the boys blood on my hand. I was shaking and I hadn't realize there was tears running down my face until that moment. I walked like I was going to one of the nearby houses and slipped down the street to my waiting car. I could hear the ambulance sirens in the distance. I cleaned the blood off my hands with wet wipes while sobbing. 

       I googled for information about the hit-and-run twice a day for a week but I never saw anything about what happened to the girl. Only information about the boy. I read about his family and friends and how sad everyone was about his death. 

       Finally I took a risk and called our informant at the police station named Bentley. I had heard the Beta and others make the call several times while ease dropping. They would call until they reach Bentley at his desk and they would tell him they were calling for the Captain's Favor and then they would ask their question. It was a simple matter to stop in the Alpha's office on my way past with the laundry cart. I already knew that the address book was in the top drawer of his office desk and that nobody was on the fifth floor today. I quickly wrote the number on a scrap of paper and shoved it in my pocket put the book back and walked out.

       I used my burner phone that I had bought with cash at Walmart months ago and activated with a Visa Card I also bought with cash. It took several tries to get Bentley at his desk and then I said the code line about calling for the Captains Favor and ask my question. I decided to ask for the name and address associated to the driver's license plate number. He sighed and said to call him back in two days. Which I did and then he gave me her name and address. 

       I googled everything I could about her but there was not a lot so I tailed her for about two weeks taking notes as I went. I took a few risks and discreetly ask questions of any humans that seem to know her.   

       Humans like to talk to me. I think it's the Alpha blood in me they sense, they subconsciously realize they're talking to someone powerful, a little bit scary, and maybe famous or important. Most times they gush and fall all over themselves trying to be helpful and it's a little awkward. The humans were happy to tell me everything they knew about her which was not a lot. One neighbor knew about her mother and her lack of family. Another told me how the police had come and question her. An ex-friend told about the hit-and-run and how she had apparently bribed and blackmailed her friends to give her an alibi.