Chapter 5

Ring ring....ring ring

"Hello!"

"Hey pastor Thomas good morning I wanted to talk to you, I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time?"

"Oh no no how are you sister Richardson? You know it's never a bad time for you. First I'd like to say I'm glad that David, Michelle and I have cleared up that misunderstanding. You know how young woman can be impressionable when it comes to teaching them about their bodies and how to use them in Christ. Like I told David, I merely suggested she dance on Sunday evening services. Nothing more."

"Yea, a misunderstanding. I'm glad we cleared that up as well. What a nuclear catastrophe it would be if I found out it was true." Phyllis replies.

Pastor Thomas realized the skepticism in Phyllis' voice. He also felt the pain vibrating off of her vocal chords.

Phyllis is intelligent and never revealed otherwise. She has that woman's intuition. She went through the same situation when she was a young girl. A police officer took advantage of his position and her trust and raped her.

My grandmother never challenged the issue and didn't believe Phyllis. The officer got away with it, but karma balances it all. The officer was shot in the head by the father of another young woman he victimized. He ended up a vegetable up until they pulled the plug on him.

" Uh so what can I do for you?"

"I wanted to see if I could come in and get some counsel from you. It's about David and I."

"Things not working out?!"

He seems all to eager to find out. It's not surprising to deduce that he secretly hopes their marriage fails so he could have an opportunity.

"We will talk. Uh how's 7ish on Tuesday? I know you have bible study Monday and prayer meeting session on Wednesday."

"Yea Tuesday's fine. I have a clear schedule and I'll make sure the church is empty so that we can truly have some privacy....and my undivided attention of course."

"Great see you then."

She calls on Saturday, and as planned, we attend church Sunday to keep up appearances. This idea is conceived by Phyllis herself.

After a service of indirect eye contact, night came and Monday past. I fell asleep believing justice will be delivered indirectly through God.

"Thank you lord for all you do. Watch over us amen." Sleep followed.