My Would-be

The past few days had flown by in a whirlwind. I had gone from Moping Minnie to as high as a kite, and there was one simple explanation for this. Fun.

Fun. Fun and more fun. And that fun began with the letter J and ended in R...

I had been left in the palace now for nearly two days, while Tairise, Nephys, Aisling and Bright headed out into the Ocean Forests.

At first, when Tairise and Aisling came out from their meeting and announced I was to remain in Evergreen, I had been completely stung. They had said I would slow them down; that I was not a strong swimmer. I had panicked at the thought of being left alone in here: What would I do? Paddle around the palace, worrying about everything?

I had felt like protesting, demanding to be able to accompany them, but I had known deep down that they were right. I had been unable to make it from The Jewel to Evergreen without a piggyback from Spirit, after all. And he was nowhere in sight to help me out this time.

I had nodded trying not to cry, and Nephys had put a comforting arm around me.

But then - just seconds later - Jasper had flounced into my life, and he was gorgeous.

He was the only mer I had seen without long flowing locks. Instead, he had short, virtually shaven hair and a body full of wonderful, colorful tattoos.

He had a long pale green tail like his father's and warm hazel eyes, like hot chocolate. And when Jasper had caught sight of me his hot chocolate eyes had lit up.

It was like love at first sight, and I was absolutely head over heels for him.

But not in a romantic sense, not like Llyr-in-love. No, no, no. Jasper was very much gay, and he was just what I needed in my life right now.

No sooner had Tairise left for Evergreen he had told me exactly where he'd been over the past week, and it had most certainly not been on a political trip like he had told his father.

He had been off prowling around the east Atlantic, looking for 'guy fry', i.e. looking for handsome young mermen. It almost made me feel a little better about letting my parents believe I was out camping when really, I was in an underwater palace. Almost.

So far, Jasper had lived up to Nephys's description of him. He was indeed 'oceans of fun'. He was an adventurer and seemed much more modern than the other mers. He put this down to spying incessantly on humans, and as such had been thrilled to meet a young woman. Like me, he certainly didn't want to sit about at home alone, and we had hit the kingdom night after night.

This evening, we were off to a party in the valley, and I was all dressed up in baby pink oyster shells.

"Well, holy fish cocktail!" he sang, as I swam into the day room where he was waiting for me. "Just look at you!"

I laughed happily and struck a pose. I don't know how he came to know about southern twangs, but I did know that my oyster shell bra was a winner.

Jasper swam over to me with a big box of Camuls and I dug in eagerly. I had developed quite a taste for these jolly little treats.

"So," he began, "My good friend Dara is on his way here. We will gulp down some more Camuls and then we will head down into the valley."

"Is Dara one of your sea-sluts?" I asked, referring to the small circle of gay mermen who'd accompanied him on his recent escapades in the Atlantic.

"Dara is the sea-slut," said Jasper, his eyes twinkling. "Very naughty."

I laughed, and we took a seat on a huge rock of jade. The rock was reminiscent of a sofa, with a big jutting out lip on which we sat and large spongy cushions supported by a high glistening, jagged back. We curled our tails beneath us and automatically leaned towards each other in anticipation of a good chat.

"Oh Crystal White," he sang, running his fingers through my hair. He reminded me so very much of his sister sometimes. "Did you know that Tairise does not know I am gay."

I widened my eyes. "Oh no, why not?" I asked, a little shocked. He seems to be so open about it.

"Well, it's not like people haven't put it to him," Jasper continued, in acknowledgment of my surprise. "But he is in complete denial, you see."

"Why?" I cried. Evergreen seems like such a liberal place, I can't believe it!

"Because I am his only son, his only chance of grandchildren," he replied.

"Huh, what about Nephys?" I said, perplexed. "And what about George?"

"Oh yes, but father refuses to set her up with any eligible mers now... after her last marriage and then yes, after George," said Jasper. "He thinks she is damaged goods."

I gaped at him, outraged. How dare he!

"It's all so silly, isn't it" said Jasper, "I mean, he wants me to find myself a queen!"

"Well tell him you are the queen!" I giggled.

He bellowed with laughter, "I love it! Oh Crystal, what a pity that I'm so completely not into maids, and that two of the kingdoms' most gorgeous bachelors have set their sights on you... Otherwise..."

"Well, I don't know about that..." I sighed, my mood dipping. Strangely enough, despite our non-stop gossiping, we had not yet discussed my merman troubles. "Llyr's getting married and Spirit's run for the hills. Literally."

"No, Llyr's under a spell and Spirit is just plain messed up," said Jasper.

"What do you mean?" I asked; Spirit's remark about parasitic mermaids at dinner the other night now echoing in my thoughts.

"Oh, he had a bad experience once upon a time," said Jasper. "He... is funny with maids ever since - a bit of a player."

"Oh," I said, looking away. I hope I haven't jilted him all over again.

"Oh, don't worry yourself," said Jasper, picking up on my guilt. "No offense, but he will not be pining for you. You've seen the man, yes? Sex on fins!"

"Hmm," I murmured quietly. "But he seems a little... I don't know, lonely or something."

"He probably is, deep down," replied Jasper. "But he's never short of company, if you know what I mean?"

I shrugged my shoulders, trying my best to appear unphased.

"Trust me, those mountain maids are wild and they love him. Crystal, if I'm honest with you, avoid him like whale-flu, unless, of course, you're looking for one night of passion ..."

"Well... I was in a way..." I admitted, feeling embarrassed.

"Oh, of course," said Jasper. "To resume leggage!"

"Yes," I sighed. "But thanks for the heads up... it was a silly idea!"

We sat in silence for a while.

"Well, you never know what Father may find in the Ocean Forests," said Jasper. "You know, for Llyr..."

"Yes," I said quickly. I loved Jasper but I decided I had had enough of this merman talk. I did not want to go back to Moping Minnie.

I lifted up a capsule to Jasper. "To you," I beamed. "My would-be King!"

He raised his own capsule and grinned. "My would-be Queen."