Chapter Sixty-Seven - Sober

Start from the beginning

"What're you thinking about?" Eli asked, rubbing his thumb across my exposed back, right between my shoulder blades. It was the space he knew drove me crazy. His knowledge of my body had always been his advantage. He knew me. He knew what I liked and what I didn't like, and best of all...what drove me wild.

"I was just thinking how excited I was for dinner tonight. It smells amazing." It was only a half-lie. I couldn't exactly tell him I'd been reminiscing about my ex.

He kissed my hair, pulling me in closer and I melted against him...despite my half truth. "Kiko's a hell of a chef."

"Kiko?"

"Yeah, Kiko Tanaka. He's usually the head chef for Uchi, but I stole him for the night." Eli's grin was very pleased with himself, so I took the opportunity to stroke his ego even more.

"I'm really excited to taste what he's prepared."

"I'm excited to taste something else..." He said under his breath, and my underwear positively flooded in response.

Before I had a chance to even think of a rational response, a large Japanese man strolled into the kitchen with enough confidence to rival even Eli's.

"Ms. Adams." He extended his palm that was the size of my head, and I shook it.

"Kiko, I assume?"

He nodded once, his glossy black hair falling into his face. He smoothed it back, and his dark brown eyes lingered on mine. He was definitely the most attractive sushi chef I'd ever seen. I guess that was L.A. for ya...

As if reading my mind, Eli pulled me into his side again, and Kiko regained his professional composure.

"I hope you like the assortment of rolls I created for your dining experience."

"I'm sure she will." Eli's tone was breezy. "Thank you for coming on such short notice." He released me to do one of those weird bro hug handshake things.

"Anything for my best customer." Kiko winked at Eli, but still snuck a glance back at me.

"I think we're all set from here." Eli's voice was slightly less breezy. Almost a warning, and I frowned. Was he...jealous?!

"Thank you, again." I smiled and he positively beamed.

"My pleasure."

Eli all but dragged me into the dining space that had been transformed. White roses were everywhere as were small white votive candles. The sushi was spread lavishly across the table with a pair of chopsticks for each of us and a large bottle of hot sake.

"God, I swear..."

"What?" I took my eyes away from the sushi. There had to be thirty rolls here...for two people.

"Nothing." Eli shoved his hand through his hair, messing it up in parts.

"It obviously isn't 'nothing'. You look annoyed."

I studied him as I poured his sake. We'd learned years ago, that it was bad luck to pour your own, so we had this weird superstition to pour for one another.