it's my business

Happy reading!!

"Seriously, what's wrong with you Win?"

Bright have had enough of it. He just couldn't conceive why on earth would Win avoid his calls. The first thought that popped up in his mind was about his father. Did he cause a scene? Was aunty getting transferred again? But they just had arrived there couple months ago. But his worries were baseless as Mrs. Fina had already told him everything was fine at home when he called her. So why was Win behaving that way? And as if avoiding him was not enough, he even had guts to say that he was going to spend his day with Luke, totally forgetting they had decided to hang out together on Friday. Right now, Win was sitting in his room, looking very uninterested in whatever Bright had to say. Bright was offended. Win had never been like this.

"Nothing's wrong Bright. Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"By telepathy?" Bright said, "you ignored all my calls."

"I was tired."

Bright sighed. He didn't want to shout. Not now. Not ever again.

"Then let me take care of you today", he said ever so gently, "you need proper rest."

Win's eyes were glistening with water.  It was indeed not his fault, he thought. The way Bright took care of him, anybody could misread his intentions.
But that didn't quelch his anger towards Bright. He was, before everything, his best friend. His first best friend. He should have made sure Win didn't fall for him but instead of warning him, he led him on. It hurt Win that Bright didn't tell him anything about Mercy.

"I want to be alone Bright. Please leave."

"But let me do something for you. I want to."

Win chortled dryly, "Don't say things you don't mean Bright."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I mean don't say you want to do something for me when you clearly can't even stand beside me when I need you. I was alone when I was convincing the class to join me."

Bright sighed. So it was about this all along.

"I thought we were past this", he muttered.

"You were past this Bright. It's easy for you to forget things. Forget promises, forget friendships. May be because you have a lot of it."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Bright shouted, "When have I ever forgotten you? If anything, I was only supporting you for this event. Because I wanted you to be happy."

"No Bright," Win interrupted, angrier than before, "you did this because you felt pity on me. You did this because you felt guilty that I was doing it all alone but all for you. You were doing this because I was some poor, lonely, unhappy guy who made you feel good about yourself. While I'm empty Bright. I'm empty because I finally realized you would never be courageous enough to stand for your choices. Not for those sky lanterns, not for Mercy, not for me. You never meant any of it Bright. You didn't mean any of what you said to me. So stop saying those things again."

Bright was stunned. How and when did Win become so distant from him? How did they even remain friends when this was all Win thought of him? He wasn't angry. He was furious. And hurt. This is what he gets after shedding off his walls and pride. This is what het got after all this time?

"Is this how you think of me, Win?"

Win was silent. He didn't. But somehow, it all was making sense even though he still couldn't believe how could Bright not feel the same for him. It all felt so real to be delusional.