"Mia Williams, can you tell me who the King of Gods is?" Her words chill me to the bones.

"Zeus?"

"And the Queen?"

"You are." She smiles daintily. "Doesn't feel like it, does it?" Her eyes flash up to my own, narrowed. My palms are sweaty and I wipe them against my pants. "I'm the prophecy girl, with nothing but one God's favor. At the end of the day, I am still just a girl." I gaze down at my hands, expecting her to lash out at me. Her voice shocks me, solemn and dark.

"And, at the end of the day, I am still just the wife of a king." She takes a sip from her cup, before tossing it into the grass. It doesn't shatter, doesn't crack, just lands impossibly lightly on the ground. "Girl," I look up at her quickly.

"Yes?"

"You are going against men who are convinced that they are right. There is nothing more stubborn and ignorant than that." Hera's lips quirk into a smile as she rises to her feet. She looks like a queen. Her shoulders are high and her chin up. She holds her hand out to me to take.

I do, touching her soft skin. Scars along my fingers make me slightly envious of her unmarred ones, looking up to her eyes. "My husband seems to have forgotten about how powerful women are." She helps me to my feet. "And it seems as if he has also forgotten about the most powerful woman in history."

My heart stops in my chest. Hera smiles down at me.

"Our mother, Rhea."

- - -

"And-And she knows that I also came from Rhea, because she's like, a boss, a--a girl boss!--and she's so amazing and just," I take a huge breath in, grinning widely. "How is someone so cool?"

"Are you still talking to Oliver?" I jump up, spinning around quickly. Ares is at the door, pulling off his watch.

"N-No." I nudge the cactus pot completely behind me, laughing nervously. Talking to plants wasn't weird, right? "Where'd you go?" His silver eyes lay on me for a brief moment and he moves close to me.

"I was just feeding my d--"

My excitement cuts him off. "You have a dog?" He pauses, before nodding slowly.

"Something like that." I gaped, sliding down on the cushion before me. A dog, how lucky. He surveys my look for a brief moment before relenting. "I'll bring you next time. He's... big." I nod eagerly.

I glanced at the clock. "When do you think Eros is going to wake up?" Ares rubs the back of his neck, chuckling slightly.

"He's probably with Dionysus, those two might be causing some trouble down in the Time Pools. There's no way that they won't." Dionysus, the God of Wine. I glance up at him.

I never realized that he was gone. Wasn't he also an Olympian?

Ares sets his watch down on his desk. "He died a few centuries ago." My mouth drops open. A few centuries ago!? "He... had a pet monkey. Said it was his best friend." I raise my eyebrows at him, wondering if he was playing a prank on me. "In the Time Pools, we get to re-live memories that happened while we were alive as much as we want to. I guess he's still sad about his monkey dying." I nodded, slowly, letting it sink in. "He had the monkey for a week."

I press my lips together, trying not to laugh. Ares sighed, running a hand through his hair almost irritated. "It isn't even dead. He was drunk and put it in it's carrier so that it wouldn't run off. Drunk Dionysus must've thought that it disappeared forever." I burst out laughing, pulling my shirt up to muffle my laughter. "Persephone still has it in an enclosure. It's immortal."

- - -

heyyy :) thanks so much for reading!

anyways, lets talk about the chapter!

hera girlboss confirmed

hera, my queen, my liege, my majesty, thank you for spouting fax.

notice how long dionysus has been gone? centuries... thats an entire human's lifespan... for a monkey. BYE.

dude look at them bonding ahaha, hold onto ur sunshine, its aboutta go stormy.

Also, not me looking through Tiktok and seeing my book cover in a vid—IF YOU HAVE ME IN A TIKTOK, PLEASE LMK TYSM OMG
please remember to vote and comment! who knows, i might just respond ehehe! i remember all of your usernames and woooo, you guys are the best!