ACT I: Chapter One - Do I Wanna Know (June, 1996)

"There goes my summer," I muttered.

It was the same thing I had thought a million times over the last two weeks since my parents had broken the news to me that they were going on a second honeymoon--a cruise that would take up most of the three months of summer.

At first, I was ecstatic. Three months all to myself. A chance to stay up late, sleep in later and do whatever I felt like during the day. Then they told me the nasty bit about shipping me down to California for the duration of their trip and that ecstasy I had built up in my head instantly deflated.

I tried to argue with them about their decision. I had recently turned eighteen after all, I should have been old enough to take care of myself without a constant babysitter. In the end though, they wouldn't be swayed. Apparently they didn't trust me to stay home all summer without destroying the house or throwing an insane party.

Clearly they didn't know me at all.

I sighed again and pressed my head against the cold glass of the taxi window as it sped me off to my aunt from the airport. I'm sure most kids my age would think I was nuts, but I was dreading this visit. I would rather be exploring the forest than hanging out on a beach. My preference was easily the sticks over the city, any day.

My aunt, Tanya, leaned against the red brick of her home as the cab pulled up, ankles and arms crossed as she surveyed the traffic. I smirked at the sight of her. At least my folks sent me off to the cool side of the family. That was a plus, if nothing else.

"Hey, kiddo!" Tanya greeted me with enthusiasm and scooped me up in a big hug as soon as I stepped out of the cab.

"Hi," I choked out through her tight embrace. When she finally released me, I pushed my glasses back up the bridge of my nose. The intensity of her excitement to see me had knocked them askew.

Tanya handed the cabbie a few bills and rounded to the back of the car. "Let me help you with your bags," she said and scooped them out of the trunk before I could get a chance to lift anything out.

I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. "Thanks," I mumbled before following her into the house.

Aunt Tanya dumped my luggage off into the living room before huffing out a sigh of relief. Stretching her back she uttered a chuckle and admitted, "Not as spry as I used to be."

"I could have helped, you know," I replied with a shrug.

"Don't worry about it," she said as she waved me off. "So, are you excited to be here or what?"

"Uh," I began, not knowing exactly what to say at first. I had always been blunt and direct, so there was no hiding how I really felt. Even if it was only to spare her feelings. "It's not how I planned to spend this summer."

Tanya didn't get upset like I expected her to, instead she nodded solemnly, "I understand completely, but I promise we'll make the most out of your time here. There are some great kids your age that live down the block. I'm sure you'll fit in and make some friends in no time."

That was the last thing I wanted. I had friends back home. I didn't want to meet some people that would be occupying their vacant spot for three months. Despite those reservations, I still put on a smile for my aunt.

"That would be great," I lied smoothly. Despite my forward nature, I didn't want to make my aunt feel bad when she was trying to help. "Do you mind if I put these in my room and just settle in?"

"Of course. Let me show you where it is," Tanya agreed and started grabbing my bags again.

I made sure to jump in and take two of them before she completely loaded herself up this time.