The Reappearing Act

Beginne am Anfang

"I can open it." I say, once I reach them. Everyone moves aside to let me work as Tim, Mr. Carlin, Glen, Aiden, and Carmen all post up in case they have to take out some zombies. I stick the pin in the lock and spin it around once, then grab the needle from my pocket and stick that into the lock and lift up and down, then I spin the top pin once more and the lock pops. Spencer looks at me and smiles.

"You're very good at that." She says.

"Lots of practice." I shrug and smile.

"Well it's really—"

"Will you two stop making eye babies so we won't get eaten by zombies please." Kyla speaks up and Angel giggles. I roll my eyes at my sister, as Spencer turns a deep shade of red. Her parent's are right behind us. I guess Kyla forgot about that...or maybe she just didn't care.

"On my count." I tell the group.

"Hurry they're coming." Glen squeals as the zombies climbing the stairs get closer.

"One..." I start the count, readying my knife instead of my bow. "Two...three." I say and yank the door open. I'm usually quicker on my feet, only once has a zombie gotten the best of me. The night Aiden had to save my life.

"Ashley there's walkers over there too!" Kyla shouts to me as we run through an abandoned warehouse. Well, what we thought was an abandoned warehouse.

"Kyla keep up!" I shout back to my sister. I'm faster, stronger and more skilled than her so running is easy, fighting is even easier, but keeping her alive for these past couple of months has been not so easy for some reason. Kyla's kinda accident prone. And it's hard to outrun zombies carrying and one hundred pound girl over your shoulder.

"Slow down, Ash!" She shouts back up to me. I turn and see that she's winded. We're not gonna outrun them if we stop.

"Come on." I tell my sister as I throw her over my shoulder and take off running again, much slower than before.

"There's no way out of here." She says looking around.

"We're gonna be fine." I assure her confidently. There hasn't been a situation I haven't been able to get out of.

"Ashley!" Kyla shouts, I turn around with her still in my arms and realize the walkers that were behind us have gained on us and there are two more herds coming from both sides of us.

"Ky I need you to run. There's a window over there, climb out and run to the nearest house and hide I'll be-"

"I'm not leaving you Ash." She says shaking her head.

"I don't have time for this, just go." I tell her and nudge her towards the window. At least one of us can make it out of here alive.

"Ashley, please-"

"Ky go, now!" I shout and she takes off towards the window. A few walkers watch her but none follow. They all have their eyes on me. Wanting to devour every piece of my flesh. "Come on you pieces of shit." I mumble as I load my cross-bow with an arrow. I shoot two of the walkers closest to me and then take off towards the window, with them all right on my tail. I just wanted to give Kyla a head start. Once I reach the window I toss my bow over my shoulder and ready myself to jump through when the unthinkable happens...a walker was closer than I thought. He grabbed my leg and bit it. The scream that erupted from my lips was screeching. The worst pain I've felt in my life. "Shit!" I mumble as I fall through the window. The walkers inside all bang on the glass as I lay on the ground just below the windowsill. I can't make it back to Kyla like this.