Basement Blues

By far my favorite chapter to write in the Apocalyse Series. I hope you all enjoy it. 

--------------------------------

"There's a real possibility that it's bad down there. We need to make sure we stay tight and we stay alert. We don't want anyone becoming dinner." Tim tells the group as we load up.

"There could be hundreds." I tell everyone. "It's imperative that we be extremely careful, I can't stress that enough. I can keep you from changing if you get bitten or scratched but not eaten." I say in a serious tone. I don't want to lose anyone on this trip. Personally, I think the smaller the crowd that goes down the better, but Tim thinks it'll be best if we all go.

"Are we ready?" Tim asks and everyone nods.

"Kyla you're not going." I tell my sister as she starts to walk with us.

"What!?" She half screams at me. "Ashley you can't be serious? We've been over this, I'm not a kid anymore!"

"No, you aren't and I get that. But you're the only family I have left and I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable if I didn't have to worry about your safety. I can't discuss this with you, Ky. You're not going and that's final." I tell her with a shrug and head shake.

"This is bull!" Kyla yells and sits down on the floor. Everyone stares back between the pair of us. It's like this is a constant thing between Kyla and I. I know everyone is tired of hearing it but with no parents around Kyla's safety falls on me and if it comes down to her being liking me or her being mad at me but safe. We all know which I'll choose.

"We ready now?" Tim turns to me and asks softly.

"Yeah." I reply nodding. I take another look at Kyla before the rest of the group walks off. Tim, Aiden, Glen, Arthur, Carmen, Spencer, Angel and myself are the chosen ones to enterthe basement.

"She's gonna realize that you're only doing this to protect her." Angel comes up next to me and says.

I turn and look at her. "You two are getting close." I raise a brow and say.

Her eyes go wide when she realizes what I'm implying. "No." She shakes her head. "I mean, Kyla is..." She stops and clears her throat. "Um... I wouldn't...she's your sister and quite frankly you frighten me so I would talk to you first before I um..." She pauses and swallows thickly. "I just wouldn't." She settles on, averting her gaze to the floor before walking away quickly.

"You scared her." Spencer chuckles beside me.

"I was just kidding with her." I turn to my girlfriend and say trying to hold back a laugh. If Angel likes Kyla, and Kyla likes Angel then that's definitely one thing I wouldn't stand in the way of. Angel seems like a nice enough girl. And maybe she'd be able to talk some sense into my crazy sister.

"Is Kyla even..." Spencer trails off and looks at me.

"I don't know." I shrug. "We've never really had that talk before." I say as we enter the stairwell and head down to the basement. The darkness creeps up on us the further we go down. The lighting from the windows dissipating with each step further down. Everyone takes out their flashlights as we reach the basement door.

"It's locked." Tim says from the front of the group.

"I got it." I say and make my way up to the door. Spencer close by my side. I take my tools from my pocket and pick the lock in no time. I stand up and back away as Tim puts his hand on the handle. Looking at each of us to determine if we're ready or not. When his eyes reach mine, I give him a firm nod which he returns and pulls the door open. My gun immediately shoots up, as well as my flashlight, pointing into the dark doorway. I'm the first to enter the hall that leads to the area of the basement where the generators are. The stench that hits my nose is indescribable.