No, I have to complete this job. I have to do this to finally find my happiness. It's the only way, I keep telling myself. It's the only way.

I slip out of his bed and land on the ground as softly as I can. The floor underneath my feet is cool, sending shivers down my back. This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire career. First, this is the crown jeweled bow and arrow set from one of the original Fire Lord's. Second, I'm in the Fire Nation Royal Palace, where the best guards work. And third, I'm going against what my heart is telling me.

Have I ever been one to listen to my heart, though? No. That's why I am doing through with this job. Because I deserve to be happy. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. It seems like I have been lying to myself lately.

The door squeals ever so slightly, so I glance back at the boy in the bed. He's dead asleep, a soft smile on his face. It's a good thing that he fell asleep; I didn't want him to catch me while I do this job. It's bad enough that I'm hurting Mai with this affair with Zuko. I don't want Zuko to think I'm a monster as well.

Hopefully, they would understand. We all have our jobs, and some are different than others. Mine is way different, but it's a way I make a living. Zuko should understand; he told me how he used to steal when him and Iroh were in the Earth Kingdom, so me stealing isn't much different than when he did it. Azula would be mad, but that's even an understatement. There's not a word that would describe how she would feel if she found out that I'm stealing right under her nose. Mai wouldn't care since she doesn't like me already. And that leaves Ty Lee. She would understand, right? I convince myself she would, but I know deep down that it's not the truth.

I shake my head. I can't afford to think about these people right now. It will only lead to disaster if I do continue to think about them. Right now, I banish these thoughts, leaving only the thoughts about this job stuck in my head. That way, I can do this job without messing anything up.

By now, my feet know the path to the throne room. I stop by my room to grab my bow and quiver full of arrows and the map, but otherwise, I'm all set to finish this job. Xalen told me he would meet me outside of the throne room doors, so I'm expecting to see him there once I make it. I take my time, though, walking to the throne room. I'm really dreading this, I realize. That's not good at all.

The closer I get to the throne room, the quicker my heart beats against my chest. I always get a little nervous whenever I begin my jobs, but not like this. I step into the shadows and take a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. So far, it isn't working, but I have to continue anyway. I can't waste any more time now.

Pushing myself off of the wall, I complete my journey to the throne room. Xalen is standing there, an angry look on his face. I slowly approach him, and his angry gaze lands on me. "Heiza," he says, his voice low and quiet, "why are you late?"

"I had to grab a few things," I say, patting my back where my bow and arrows are. I give him a look, ignoring the way my heart thudded against my rib cage. "You don't want me to be weaponless, do you?"

"No, but you didn't have to take so long."

"I'm sorry."

His anger shifts to something else that I can't really read in the dark corridor. I ignore the look as I shove him to the side. I enter the dark throne room slowly, trying to figure out if this is what I really want to do or not. Of course I want to do this. 

Soon, I have the throne pushed to the side just like the map told me. A soft light shines up at me from the wooden staircase, pulling me forward. "Do you want me to come with you?" Xalen whispers to me. "Or do you want to keep watch up here?"

I glance back at him. The stairs underneath my feet creak softly because they're incredibly old. "Come with me, please," I tell him. "I might need your help."

"Okay."

We quickly walk down the rest of the stairs together. Xalen produces a torch from his cloak and lights it from the small sconce that is burning on the wall next to us. Slowly, the light cascades around us, allowing us to see what we have here with us. The room we enter is pretty small, just big enough for the two of us to fit. There's a metal door directly in front of us, so I take a step toward it. 

"A firebender is the only person who can open this door," Xalen whispers, pulling me back. He steps in front of me and lights a little flame in his palm. I notice a small metal square next to the door with the Fire Nation insignia on it. Xalen presses his palm there. The door creaks as it swings open. "See?"

"Right."

I am the first one to enter the room. It smells very musty, like not many people have been in here in a long time. Our torch is the only source of light left in here because the door shuts behind us. That's alright because there's two more doors on my left and right.

"There they are," I whisper. The jeweled bow and arrows are hanging on the wall in front of me. They are hanging above a table that holds some other secret items the Fire Nation has created. Each jewel glints different colors in the light of the torch. "Look at how beautiful they are."

"Yeah, yeah," Xalen says, waving his hand in the air. "Just grab them so we can get out of here before -"

Shouts echo behind us. It sounds like the guards have found us already. But how? How has this happened? I have no idea, but I don't have time to think about it right now.

I race forward and grab the bow and arrows, slinging them across my back. It is a good thing I grabbed my extra quiver for the arrows. Before I can do anything else, Xalen presses me underneath the table, covering me with his body. I stare up at him and wish I could just disappear.

"This feels like old times," I whisper to Xalen. I know I shouldn't be joking right now, but I can't help it. It feels like the only thing I can do instead of focusing on the fear. Our faces are so close to each other that I can see the fear traveling through his eyes, too. "Remember that night in the armory at the Stronghold?"

"Of course I do," he whispers back. His eyes flick over my head, looking at the door behind me. It sounds like the guards are trying to get in here. "But we can't talk right now. They will hear us."

I lift my hand up and cup his cheek. His jaw clenches at my touch. "We can do other things. I promise I'll be quiet and quick."

"Heiza." His voice is sharp, almost as sharp as my arrows. I haven't ever heard him this angry before, and it slices at my heart. "When I say go, you will run down the passageway to your right. It leads to the catacombs, and from there, you will escape."

"What will you do? Won't you get caught for helping me?"

"I have no idea what will happen to me."

"But Xalen -"

"Go!"

Xalen shoves me toward the door. I glance back at him to find him heading toward the other guards. He gives me one last look before disappearing from my sight.

I take off running down the passageway. It's the only thing I can do right now. My heart isn't in this anymore, and I hate it. I hate how I don't know who I am anymore. I hate everything about this job. But I can't stop now. I have the jeweled bow and arrows; it's time for me to find my happiness, wherever it's at.