Battle under the trees

War came fast

War came fast. Lorien was the first to be attacked. Then followed Erebor, Dale and Mirkwood.

It started with drums resonating from the depths of the forest. Loud drums and the sound of war. Then fire started to spread through the wood. It was just the beginning of the siege and of a long battle under the trees.

Thranduil and his people marched through the forest, the King leading them, and a fierce fight began. Tauriel was left in charge of protecting the borders of the fortress rather than venturing with the King in the burning forest. She knew Thranduil had trusted her with a very important role of defending the very heart of the Woodland Realm. 

She and two other captains of the guard and their companies as well as Thranduil's generals with part of the army were forming like a barricade to protect the fortress. The other woodland warriors and the rest of the army were fighting with Thranduil. 

The fight at the Southern side of forest, where the siege had begun, was fierce and bloody. The orcs were falling under the magical enchantments and traps of the elves but they also brought traps of their own for the elven warriors, hidden war devices that they were launching from behind the trees. They were also setting the forest on fire, trying to burn the King's army as well. The enchantments placed on the springs and river were helping tame part of the fire but the assault was not coming to an end. 

Later that day, the King returned with the army back to the fortress while another unit went in to keep the attack from going any further. The orcs had taken almost all the Southern half of the forest and they placed encampment there. Most of the trees in that area had been either burnt, cut off or damaged. 

'Milord', said one of the generals when Thranduil passed by the kingdom halls with a grave expression and rushing on his way to the throne room. 'We can confirm that our scouts have seen Dale and Erebor also under attack. They plan to take control of this whole portion of Middle-Earth. We also have information that Easterlings will join them later this evening or tomorrow. They will first pass through Erebor and Dale and then make their way here. If more of their forces will arrive, the kingdom will fall.'

'This kingdom will not fall', said Thranduil with an intense gaze and a commanding tone. 'Bring all the generals and commanders to the throne room now.'

Tauriel admired how Thranduil was keeping his composure even in life or death situations. Still, she feared for him and for everyone else in the Woodland Realm. They had managed to stop the orcs from temporarily moving further towards their realm, but also suffered a defeat as half of Mirkwood was now invaded and burnt. She felt anger and a sense of powerlessness that she could not do more, just like she had felt back on Ravenhill when fighting Bolg and not being able to save Kili or to save more of the lives that had been lost there. She felt anger and hatred towards the forces of Sauron and knew she would stand by Thranduil to her last breath and do everything that she could to fight them off and protect the realm.