"I'm guessing she'll have plenty to say about that crowd..."

"Well, we're all ears," prompted Esmeray. "We need to know any information you can grant to us."

Sophie bit her lip and clasped her hands together. "I... wasn't always an advocate for the witches. My sister was devoted, like our parents, and our upbringing was very strict, which drove me nuts. The minute I turned twenty-one, I left the Quarter to travel... and play. But, I wanted to be a chef, so I came back to Rousseau's. When I returned, I learned that the elders wanted to move through with the Harvest."

"What the bloody hell is a Harvest?" asked Rebekah.

"It's a ritual our coven does every three centuries so that the bond to our ancestral magic is restored. We appease our ancestors, they keep our ancestral power flowing."

Klaus came to sit beside Esmeray, putting his arm around her casually. "And why haven't I heard of this?"

"Because a Harvest always seemed like a myth. A story, passed on through generations like Noah's ark, or the Buddha walking on water. The kind some people take literally, and some people don't. They had the girls of our community preparing for months. Four would be chosen for the Harvest. They said that it was an honor, that they were special. I thought it was a myth."

"Was it?" asked Esmeray, since she'd never heard of such a thing.

Sophie didn't get to answer, as Klaus's phone began to ring. "Marcel," said the hybrid, holding the device up to his ear. "Bit early in the day for you, isn't it?"

"I know," replied the younger vampire, "I make this look easy, but I still have an empire to run."

Klaus looked annoyed, but pretended all was well. "Rather you than me. All that responsibility seems like such a bore."

"Well, this might spice things up— I just heard about a bunch of dead witches out in the Bayou. The kinda damage a werewolf might do, only there was no full moon. I have an informant out there I need to meet, and I would love for you to go with me. Unless, of course, your little girlfriend knows what happened."

Klaus pretended to be unfazed. "Dead witches in the Bayou. Sounds like less of a problem, and more like a cause for celebration. And no, my girlfriend does not know what happened, granted the fact she cannot turn into a wolf, and has been here enjoying a massage."

Esmeray looked at him as if to say, 'what the fuck do you mean 'massage,'' but said nothing aloud because she knew Marcel had to believe that it was only him and Esmeray living together. "Well, something killed them," said Marcel. "And may still be out there. And with your blood the only cure for a werewolf bite, I would love for you to accompany me."

"Oh, why not?" sighed Klaus. "Haven't been to the Bayou in ages. I'm on my way."

"Peace out, brother," replied Marcel before hanging up.

Sophie looked at Klaus in concern. "You can't go out there now. I need to gather the witches' remains and consecrate them. If I don't get to them before sundown, we'll lose the link to their magic."

"Sounds terrible," said Esmeray, feigning a solemn tone. "Maybe they should have acted more like witches until the end."

"Those witches tried to kill Hayley and Esmeray," said Klaus. "I'd prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her, or to... you know..." He pointed at Hayley's belly. "That."

The wolf, who had until then been silent, rolled her eyes. "You are all class."

Klaus pointed at Sophie. "Stay put. And save the rest of your story 'til I return."