She watched him disappear behind the doors towards the kitchen before directing her attention towards the diner doors behind her. Originally, she'd been checking for the line that usually formed outside by that time (four-thirty in the afternoon on a Wednesday) and Miss Ida Mae coming back in telling them to get back to work. Today, though, the coast was clear of people, besides a more interesting development that she didn't like.

Lydia stood from her seat at the counter and made her way outside with a steady pace, ignoring the sounds of Effie and Ken calling after her. From inside she had seen a scrawny little thing with scraggly blonde hair being pushed around in the alleyway and had assumed it was a child; the closer she got, however, she realized that the person was much older. It didn't matter to her what age the person was, all she knew was that the bully was in Harlem where almost everyone was family.

Lydia was grateful to still have her work slippers on, since her steps didn't echo in the alleyway and alert whoever this asshole was. Once she got close enough, however, she wasn't overly keen on staying silent, "The hell are you doing!"

The taller male turned around, revealing an ugly mug that even Effie's best makeup couldn't fix. He had a nasty scar over his top lip and his lower jaw jutted out enough that Lydia was sure would give him a very prominent manner of speech. The amount of grease in his hair didn't make his appearance any better, even though it was clear that it was intentionally slicked back and meant to look good. "This don't concern you, bitch." 

He turned back towards the smaller person again, leaving Lydia with a heavy frown on her face. As much as she wanted to walk up to the man and deal with him herself, it'd be difficult to explain a bruised cheek or black eye to her dad. Anyone, for that matter, without them starting a neighborhood war for messing with everyone's little sister. At the sound of heels clicking, however, Lydia felt her courage grow in that moment. Without having to look over her shoulder she knew that it was Effie, and anywhere Effie went, Ken was only a few steps behind. 

"I think it does. Leave him alone." 

The bully whipped back around with even more force than the last time. His expression showed clear annoyance and he looked about ready to hit Lydia, except the sight of the much taller person beside her stopped him dead in his tracks. Ken stood a little of six feet and although his arms and legs looked so long that they should've been thin like twins, they were far from it. He'd always looked much older than the rest of the boys in their classes, too; the thought of someone years older having a problem with them seemed to scare kids like the one in front of them away fairly often.

That was exactly what happened, too. He took a good hard look at Ken - with his arms crossed and the meanest expression he could muster - and slumped away from the group. Not without the last say of course (Lydia could have sworn she heard him mumble moolie, whatever that meant). 

Once he was out of the picture, the kid in front of her was revealed to not be a kid at all. He was smaller than what was normal, that was obvious, with a tattered suit and a scruffy haircut that looked like it was from another alley like the one they were in. His pale complexion was almost sickly, but his eyes blazed with a fire that Lydia had only ever seen when she looked in the mirror at herself. 

 "You look like you need something to eat. Come on." she didn't know this boy, neither did Effie or Ken she was sure, but he deserved something after almost getting his behind whooped.

"I've actually gotta get home." 

Lydia's eyebrow shot up at the declining of her invitation, "I know this ain't your side of town, but when somebody invites you to eat you accept." 

It didn't take long for is cheeks to burn a bright pink with shame, followed by his gaze turning downward as if the young woman's shoes were more interesting than anything. It felt like forever before he looked back up again, allowing his head to bob up and down slowly as he stared at the three strangers in front of him with the curiosity of a little kid. Ken allowed the group to walk ahead of him, making sure no one else was waiting around the corner to tail them back to the diner.