two.

02. | A FOOL IN A FANCY RESTAURANT.

 | A FOOL IN A FANCY RESTAURANT

LYDIA COULDN'T EXPRESS HER DISCONTENT TO BE IN THE CAR ANY MORE IN THAT MOMENT. Perhaps it was less discontent, however, and more of a slight paranoia. Whatever it was had the normally secure girl twisting and tugging at the fabric of her skirt as she sat in the backseat of her best friend's fiance's vehicle, effectively annoying the other woman that sat in the passenger's seat.

"Stop fidgeting, Lydia, you'll wrinkle it."

Although she couldn't see her, Lydia made sure to glare towards her best friend as she adjusted her skirt a final time, "You made me look like some sort of socialite. Of course I'm nervous, Effie." 

"It suits you, Lydia. You should dress up more often." Will spoke up from his normal silence.

Lydia's glare shifted from her friend over to the unusually cool man, unsure of his ability to see her in the rear view mirror. She didn't particularly care whether or not he could, but she knew that she'd hear from Effie later about her attitude if she wasn't careful.

She didn't feel strongly about Will Alders; not really. She also barely knew him aside from two things: he remained calm through most situations and the only time he ever smiled was when he looked at Effie. She hadn't taken the time to get to know the man that would soon be what felt like a brother-in-law to her and it was for no reason other than she was wary of his type.

Not white, of course, because her own father was. She meant the rich, spoon fed and eerily calm. The only types of men that she knew to be so collected in situations where any normal person wouldn't were the same types that beat on their wives and children in private. She would be stupid not to watch out for her best friend, especially when the young woman wasn't doing so herself. She was the more cautious of the two when Ken wasn't present - someone had to keep grounded in all the chaos. 

It didn't take too much longer until the car pulled up to an expensive restaurant. The lack of bodies in the dining room could have easily been a byproduct of the depression and the lack of money that folks had to eat outside of their homes, but the frosted glass windows were a sign of money that Lydia could never attain in her lifetime. This was an exclusive place meant for people well above her standing and that wasn't good in Lydia's mind.

It took the remainder of the young woman's strength to step outside of the car, where the weight of her body suddenly fell heavy on her knees. Her normally strong body fell forward at the lack of support, forcing the other young woman beside her to nearly sacrifice her beloved coin purse to prevent her best friend from hitting the concrete face-first. Effie couldn't hide the heavy frown that appeared on her face, "What is your problem?"