Nine

The dreaded week was finally upon him.

Sanemi frowned as he felt his hand cramp, not helped by the way he held his pencil so tightly it may as well have snapped. His eight page calculus midterm sat covered in eraser marks and scribbled chicken scratch in front of him.

Frankly, it looked like a nightmare, but all of his calculations were done correctly and he'd about checked three times for each answer.

He wanted to go through a fourth time, but he knew Kyojuro was waiting for him outside his classroom, no doubt done with his own history midterm by now.
Kyojuro was the one to propose the idea of meeting after their midterms for lunch, and Sanemi had gone along with it if only to get his loud friend to shut his mouth for a moment while he studied.

With a sigh, he stands, packing up his backpack and grabbing his mess of a midterm, slinging his bag over his shoulder and heading to the front of his lecture hall, to where his professor stood.

The woman was tall and lean, unassuming but a real bitch. She seemed to like Sanemi though, probably because he always did the homework and actually paid attention in her class.

She gave him a curt nod as he dropped the midterm on the desk in front of her, her eyes softening slightly from her icy glare. He gave her a nod back, turning to make his way out.

He rolled his eyes as he passed his other classmates, ignoring their little cries of exasperation and heading straight to the exit.
The large door creaked as he pushed it open, but as it swung closed he was left in silence.

Rubbing his face, he groaned, blinking a few times to try and ease the pain in his eyes. It didn't really help, and the cheap fluorescent lights above him were giving him a headache.
He felt himself frown, the deep seated exhaustion setting in. He'd stayed up late to study, and he hadn't really eaten all day, so his body wasn't happy with him.

'What am I turning into Yuu or something?' His mind echoes, and he scoffs at his own stupid idea of a joke.

Looking to his left, he catches sight of Kyojuro. He's sitting on a bench with his face in a notebook, headphones plugged into his ears. Sanemi can hear his favorite heavy metal band from where he stood, and he shakes his head to himself.

He was going to rupture his eardrums some day.

Making his way over to Kyojuro, he wasn't surprised he didn't catch his attention. It was only when he was right next to him did the man notice his presence, and when he finally did he smiled brightly, whipping his head up to Sanemi and slamming his notebook shut in excitement.
"Sanemi!" He says loudly, his music still blasting in his ears.

Sanemi flinches at the volume, but the tension leaves his shoulders as Kyojuro jumps to his feet, ripping his earbuds out of his ears.
"How'd your midterm go?!"

Moving his bag around from his back to his front, Kyojuro unzips it and tries stuffing his notebook inside.

Keyword; tries.

Sanemi cringes as he notices the almost insane amount of loose and crumpled papers in his bag, and he feels his face scrunch up in disgust.

"I did fine." He replies despite himself, and Kyojuro's smile gets larger, if that's even possible.

Shoving the notebook in and zipping up his backpack again, Kyojuro turns and starts walking, waving for Sanemi to follow. He does, and they fall into step with each other.