Three: Unwanted Goodbye

Start from the beginning

He kisses the top of my head. And I can feel his tears just starting...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron's P.O.V.

I guess it hit me finally. That I'm dying. That I'm not going to be there for Lana anymore. That I'm not going to be here with Lana anymore. I have been. for six years. Six years ago if you had asked me about Lana and I, I would have just said 'Oh she's in my class and we get along but we don't talk much."

But then one day she came in looking pretty depressed. So I walked up to her.

Flashback-

"Hey.. Are you okay?" I ask.

She looks up at me, straight in the eyes and starts to cry. "N-No." she whispers.

I pull her into a hug. "It's okay, whatever it is I'm sure it will get better. Do you wanna talk about it?"

She shakes her head and starts sobbing into my chest. I rub her back.

"Shhhh.. shhhh.. everything is gonna be fine." I coo.

We just stand like that for a while, her tears stain my shirt, but honestly I don't mind. I don't know how much time went by but she finally looks up at me with piercing blue eyes, almost identical to mine.

"Your name is Aaron.. right?" she asks.

"Yeah, and you're Lana, right?" I ask.

"Yeah that's me.." She whispers.

"Right. Well if you ever need someone to talk to Lana, you can come to me. I'll always help you. Pinky promise." I say holding out my right pinky.

She looks at me and then my pinky. Then she lifts up her left pinky and entertwines it with mine.

*End Flashback*

I didn't even realize how hard I was crying until I felt Lana shaking on me.

"Lana, are you cold?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah, a little." She responds.

I reach down and grab the blankets that are bunched around our feet and pull them up around us.

"W-we should get some sleep... I can't stand to see you cry anymore." I whisper.

She snuggles closer into my side and I wrap my arm around her. Wanting to hold her there forever. Suddenly I get this feeling in my stomach. Something isn't right.. I look around the room and see the walls in the fading light. I let out a breath. And kiss Lana's head, I take a second to breath in her shampoo and her scent. She smells of apples. I will always remember that smell.

I lay very still for about an hour. Lana drifted off a while ago but I can't seem to shake the feeling in my stomach. My hand twitches and brushes Lana's arm. She looks up at me.

"I thought you were asleep." I whisper.

"Not yet... I'm just thinking." she says sighing and laying her head back down on my chest.

I pull it back up.

"Lana.... You know I love you right? You're the best friend I ever had." I didn't mean to say it in the way of actually being in LOVE with her. But I mean a normal guy can love his best friend with no other feelings. Not me though. I had to fall for her.

She smiles slightly. "I love you too Aaron.. You're the only best friend I ever want." she says kissing my cheek.

"Goodnight.." she whispers.