Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Kale

I slammed shut the rusty door on my green seventies Chevy truck. It was such an ugly thing, but I got cheap, so I couldn't complain much. I looked at the tall school standing in front of me. It's red brick looked new, but I knew looks could be deceiving. Some of the prettiest things held the darkest secrets. I walked towards what I thought were the main doors. School must have already started since there were close to no cars hanging around outside. I wondered why this school started at eight o'clock. Back at my school in New York, we started at nine. Of course, this school gets out close to three o'clock while my school got out closer to four, but I felt like eight was still too early.

I walked inside and took an immediate right, so I was in the main office. Phones rang and a couple old ladies were busy answering them. I walked up to the first one and smiled politely. Her white hair was hanging around her ears. She looked up at me, over her tiny glasses. She smiled a warm smile and stopped typing.

"Hello, what I can help you with?" She asked. I looked at her name tag and saw 'Betty Anson' written on it.

"Hi, Ms. Anson. I'm Kale Jones. I'm new here." I explained, watching a crowd of late students trying to sneak in. Someone who I figured was an administrator stopped them dead in their tracks, though.

"Oh, right! Kale Jones, you do know school started about thirty minutes ago, right?" She busied herself as she flipped through stacks of paper.

"Yeah, now I do. In New York, we started at nine." Good start, Kale. Good start!

"Right, well this is Denver. We start at eight." She replied sternly as she flipped through piles of paper. "I can't seem to find-"

The doors into the office burst open, revealing a small framed girl with short brown hair. Her dark brown eyes darted every direction under her eyebrows that were knitted together. A deep frown was on her face, and her nose was scrunched up a bit. I was a little shocked that something so small as her could produce so much power.

Ms. Anson stopped shuffling papers and sighed. "Already, Maryalind? What did you do now?"

The petite girl, that I now knew was named Maryalind, turned to her with her jaw clenched. "I don't effing know! That bitch-"

Ms. Anson held her hand up as she said, "Excuse me, this is a school."

Maryalind's mouth pulled into a tight smile after rolling her eyes. "I don't freaking know. Mrs. Burns just told me to go to the office."

"Throw a freshman in the trashcan?"

"No."

"Back talked?"

"No."

"Harassed another student?"

"No."

"Hit anyone?"

"No."

"Do drugs in the bathroom?"

"That was once! And after getting that high, I'm not doing it again." She replied laughing, as she looked at me for a response. When I didn't laugh along, she just turned back to Ms. Anson. Ms. Anson just sighed and shook her head. When she looked back up at me, her eyes flashed to Maryalind before a grin stretched across her wrinkly face.

"Take Mr. Kale Jones here to the counseling center. He's new here and needs to get his schedule. Afterwards, I would like you to show him around school. Tell the counselors that I requested for you two to skip your guys' first periods."