Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Maryalind

I was standing beside my front door, looking out at the night sky. Waiting for Kale sometimes was agonizing, especially times like these when I had no idea what we were doing.

I kept debating whether or not I should change. Right now, I was wearing some dark skinny jeans with a sweatshirt and converse. Kale said to dress warm, but was this too relaxed? My hair was now reaching to the bottom of my neck. I hated saying I had a bob hairstyle, because it made me think I was a vulnerable little girl again. Even if my hair was straightened, it didn’t help the look of how much of a bum I am.

A car horn blared outside just as I was about to change. Sighing, I made sure my phone was in my pocket before leaving. I skipped towards his truck which was pulled in my driveway. He grinned when he saw me, making my stomach erupt into butterflies. When I closed his door behind me, I found him holding out a bandana.

“You have got to be kidding me.” I whined, looking at Kale pleadingly.

He shook his head and motioned for me to come over. He tied it on my head as he replied, “It’s a surprise until we get there.”

“I hate you,” I lied. Kale laughed, obviously knowing I was bluffing.

The drive took forever. I pleaded the whole way for him to give me a hint, but he didn’t. Stupid boy! However, I wasn’t even panic that he had huge advantages over me: he was bigger, stronger, and had me trapped, blindfolded in his car. Of course, my mom knew I was with him, but she trusted him enough to know he wouldn’t hurt me. Or at least she hoped he wouldn’t hurt me.

The vehicle finally pulled into a still motion, and I went to grab the back of my bandana that was covering my vision when Kale pulled my hand away. “No, no. I still have to help you out of the car.”

“I really do hate you.” I muttered.

He chuckled before replying, “I know.”

When I was led out of the truck, I finally got my vision back. Everything was really dark at first, but my eyes adjusted. I looked around to find us in the middle of nowhere. I turned to Kale and raised my eyebrows. “Care to explain?”

He held his hand out for me, which I took, and led me towards the forest. I started to silently panic. He could do anything he wanted to me right now, and nobody would have a clue. He could rape and kill me, and nobody would ever know.

All worries and doubts faded when I saw what he set up. In front of me and him was a cleared out part of the woods. Little lanterns were scattered among the branches around the small oval shaped area. A fire sat in the middle, already glowing with heat, and a blanket sat beside it with a picnic basket in the middle. I felt tears prickle my eyes. I looked up at Kale, making them fall down my cheeks. Ignoring the lump in my throat, I whispered, “You did all this?”

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he replied, “With a little help from your mother.”

I let him tug me towards the blanket as I took everything in. The lights among the trees gave off a dreamy mood, and everything felt so surreal. I positioned myself next to Kale on the blanket, but towards the fire for warmth. Kale’s gaze was practically burning through me, but I tried not to notice.

“This is all really sweet, Kale, but why did you do it? Why not just take me to dinner at Applebee’s?” I asked, genuinely curious.

“I had your mother make your favorites.” He said, ignoring my question. I looked at the contents of the picnic basket that were now sprawled out on the blanket. Chicken, Dorritos, and Pepsi. Macaroni and cheese was in a small bowl as well. I looked at everything with hungry eyes. Without asking for permission, I grabbed a can of Pepsi and a bowl of Macaroni and cheese. I stuffed my face with it, letting go of any worries of my lack of manners.