xxviii

noelle } jan. 10th } 662 days before

i clicked my pen on top of the wood table top of my desk, sipping my deluxe latte from the cafeteria. most of the office was abandoned, other than ashley and steven who was staring blankly at his computer screen.

"headed home yet?" ashley asked me.

i sighed. "i really should get home before 7 one or these nights."

"you're working too hard babe. watch out, you might end up getting yourself a permanent job." she winked.

i leaned back in my office chair and drank my last bit of latte. i should probably stop drinking so much caffeine at 7 o'clock at night too.

i threw the emty cup into the trash with a swift toss and stood up.

"alright, i'm heading out." i told ashley while i put on my coat. i fastened my messenger back around my shoulder and shut off the desktop computer.

"have a nice weekend hun!" ashley called as i pulled the door open and stepped out into the cold hallway.

i walked down the dim hallway of the office building and padded down the steps in my old converse. i pushed the door open and shuttered in the cold january air as i huddled further down into the neck of my coat, my teeth already chattering.

just as i shoved my hands into my pockets, my phone started to ring. i groaned as i dug through my purse for my phone and exposed my hands to the nearly frigid air.

"hello?"

"noelle darling, is that you?" my mum asked.

"yes, mum, it's me." i chattered. "what is it?"

"well, there's some great news noelle." she started, then paused.

"mum, what's the great news?"

"so, long story short, i'm getting married!" my mum cried into the phone.

well, this is it. mustache jim asked mum to marry him, and mum said yes. tall, awkward, part time singer mustache jim asked the gorgeous, smart, author of my mum to marry him. he probably sang her a weird beegees song that wooed her over when he asked her or something, because my mum would never accept any other marriage proposal from a guy like jim.

"geez, that's .... great news mum."

"isn't it?" she practically squealed. "gosh, it was wonderful. he took me to that one new resteraunt across town, the rendezvous, isn't that what its called? but it was karaoke night, and of course, jim went up to sing,"

i shuttered as i pictured mustache jim leaping around the stage as he muttered the words to some beegees song.

"and then we he started to sing the beegees, i knew something was up."

see, i just know things.

"and in the last verse of the song, he comes up to me and bam-- pulls out a ring right in front of everyone. see, i had no idea."

i turned the corner into the park and sighed into the phone.

i really had no idea either. i mean, jim and my mum have been seeing eachother for about 4 months now and i guess they've sort of clicked. jim is sort of is a lunatic, but my mum sort of is in her own way too. mum is starting to need some sort of companionship, really. she's starting to want to start volunteering again, which is a clear sign of boredom. i'm glad that she can have a wedding to obsess over for 4-5 months.

"so when is this happening?" i asked as i saw my breath in the cold air.

"oh, we want it to be a small sort of wedding, so we're thinking a nice spring wedding in march."