Mystery

Mystery writing prompts

1. Your best friend has gone missing, and someone keeps leaving small reminders of them in your mailbox. You see someone approach to deliver something else, and your heart nearly stops when you recognize them.

2. You've always wanted a dog, so when a rain-soaked mutt shows up on your front step, you let him in. Unfortunately, something else hitched a ride.

3. Someone moves into the apartment next door and starts playing loud music at night. You call the police, who find the guy dead holding a note with your name and address.

4. Someone keeps replacing items in your home with different objects that look vaguely familiar. No one else has a key to your home, and there are no signs of forced entry.

5. You bake some cookies to share with the new neighbor, but the terrified woman backs away from the plate, shaking her head. Someone from inside calls out, "I'll have those."

6. Someone at work has offered to do a tarot card spread for you, and you politely decline. You find a single tarot card in your mailbox when you return home.

7. You don't remember wandering alone on a country road as a small child, but someone does. And he wants to make sure you're not around to testify against him.

8. The window of your apartment leads to a fire escape, but twice you've come home to find it open. Nothing is missing. But someone keeps leaving a ring on your kitchen table.