Chapter Fifteen

I struggle as I walk down the hall, trying to stay balanced as I listen to the clicks of crutches hitting the ground in place of my usual high heels. Both of my arms are busy trying to move the crutches so I really don't have the extra hands to carry books. That still doesn't stop me, though. After a few more steps, I drop the novel once again. Instead of struggling to pick it up, I just slide it down the hallway using my left crutch, hoping I don't cause the cover that is in pristine condition to become messed up.

I make my way down the rest of the hallway without any troubles-meaning fall on my face like an idiot with an already broken ankle. As I go to turn around the corner, I push the book along with my crutch again. The end of the crutch hits something and I wince and begin to draw backwards. The person only laughs and picks up the book. I can't see who it is, yet. The only distinction about the person is their olive skin and umber hair.

"I believe you dropped this, princess," a familiar voice says. Coen bows a little as he hands me the book. I giggle a little, pasting a permanent smile on my face.

"Ha, yeah. I dropped it back at the other end of the hall. This was the easiest way to move it," I say. He chuckles and nods. His hazel eyes glisten with humor, a look Flynn often gets that I love.

"Well, I imagine that is hard," he says. I nod and smile, not really sure how to respond. As princess, I should have no problem talking. Despite all the training I have received in all the subjects such as entertaining visitors and public speaking, I have never been able to hold a normal conversation.

"Well, I guess I'll see you at dinner tonight," I say. He nods and gives me a smile. He bows a little and I quickly shake my head. "Um, that isn't necessary. . . And neither is calling me princess or anything like that," I say. He smiles again and nods.

"Okay, Celia. I will see you tonight," he says. I nod once to say bye and walk past him. I make it a few feet around the corner using the whole jump step technique but it isn't long before I drop my book again. I groan loudly.

"Dang it!" I yell. I sigh, but I stop halfway through my sigh when I hear someone laughing around the corner. Coen comes back around the corner with a grin on his face. He reaches down and picks up my book once again.

"Would you like help?" he asks, keeping the book in his grasp. I close my eyes and sigh before nodding slightly. "Where to?" he asks. I use my crutch to gesture to a door down the hall that leads to the gardens.

"I was going to go outside and read but I'm not so sure I'll be able to make it there, especially to the spot I wanted to go to," I say. He nods and gestures towards the door in a way that summons me to continue my journey. I arch my eyebrows up to question his movements.

"After you, my lady," he says. I nod once to silently state that I understand him and begin the half walking half hopping form of movement once again. The guards at the french doors open them for us. I nod in thanks and I hear Coen mumble a thank you as well. I start moving down the concrete path but when I don't hear Coen's footsteps, I stop and turn to look at him. He is completely ignoring me, taking in the view of well groomed flowers and hedges.

"What's wrong?" I ask. He blinks several times, taking him out of his flower induced haze. He shakes his and starts walking towards me.

"Nothing, I was just shocked by the. . . flowers, I guess," he says. He smiles and lets out a small chuckle. I give him a kind smile and turn back around. "So, um, where are we going?" he asks. I point towards a path that leads to a spot behind a bunch of tall hedges. He nods and we set off again in silence.

When we reach the spot, I can't help but observe that everything is even more beautiful now. Several bushes are begining to blossom, the infant flowers showing hints of lavender, coral, and lemon dyes. There are still several benches in beds of gravel. The most dominant feature, though, is the small pool of water with a small waterfall streaming into it. I hear Coen gasp behind me at the hedge incaged space.

"What is this?" he asks. I sit down on the bench and he comes to sit next to me after giving me the book and helps me to prop the crutches up on a neighboring bench. It takes a couple minutes for me to respond, afraid to admit that I was on a date here with a rebel.

"This is the spot where I had my last date with Ethan. . . Or at least I think it was our last date. Anyways, he had been looking around for. . . who knows what. I guess he also spent a lot of time out here trying to find a good spot to murder me," I say. He nods a little and silence sets over us again. He finally stands up and smooths out imaginary wrinkles on his khaki pants.

"You are welcome to stay," I say. He smiles and puts his fingers through the loops on his pants meant for belts.

"I would love to. I have to go meet Flynn, though. Maybe we could hang out later," he says. I nod a little before he turns away and walk behind the wall of plants surrounding me.

So, I honestly feel like this chapter was kind of random... Just tell me what you think! I feel like this is later than it should be. I have just been really busy and I haven't had time to write. I am soooo sorry! I did make a Instagram account so please follow me @finnchellove.wattpad! The second half isn't edited very well because I was running out of time before PLL started so sorry... Please comment and vote!

I am really curious about this. I realized after rereading some of the comments on the last story that not everyone wanted Flynn to win. So who was your favorite of the selected.

Disclaimer: I wish I could be a rocket scientist. I wish I could be Spiderman. I also wish I owned The Selection. That, though, belong to the one, the only, Kiera Cass.