CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Start from the beginning

"Yes i know! but he undrestands so much already" Hoseok replies, not keeping his voice down anymore and in fact a little frustrated "he knows what a birthday is. he's been to mine, he's been to jungkook's! about a month ago, when you went to that club and he was with me, he asked if birthdays are only for old people since he's never had one? yes he wasn't old enough the first year, or the second, or the third, but he's four years old now. he knows this stuff"

Yoongi can feel his heart beat in his ears. his words feel like painful slaps against his wounded skin. but he can't move or bring himself to reply to him and Hoseok can see the look of panic on his pale face. so he brings his voice down again and gives him a softer look.

"believe me i can't begin to imagine the mixed feelings this day brings up...but you gotta accept it at some point. you can't keep denying the fact that it's also the day he was born"

realization runs down his body like a cold chill and he feels his knees give out. he sits on the bed covering his face in both hands. he loves Yongsun so much, yet he can't help but see each year he gets older as one year added to her absence, and in all these four years no one has dared to blurt this truth out as loudly as Hoseok right now.

"just give me ten minutes i'll be right out"

Hoseok hangs back by the door, feeling a little sorry and ashamed for going so hard on him, but eventually leaves the room giving him some space.

"is he alright?" Jimin whispers running a hand through his hair nervously.
"i don't know. but he's gonna come out in a few minutes" Hoseok looks troubled.
"i think this was a mistake" Jimin purses his plumped lips together fearfully "maybe i shouldn't have come"
"no, no it's all gonna work out, don't think about it. let me get you a drink" Hoseok says and walks to the kitchen.

a few minutes later Jimin walks to where Jungkook and Taehyung are talking by the fireplace. their hushed voices barely audible even as he stands next to them.
"guys...am i going too fast?"
"what? what do you mean?" Taehyung frowns and bites into the strawberry in his hand.
"i...i'm not sure if right now is a good time to bring anything up...he's clearly not over-"

"Yongsun?"

his deep voice cuts through the room. he walks past everyone like nothing's happened at all. he's changed into a white long sleeve and a pair of light blue jeans, his bangs almost covering his eyes. "come on" he tilts his head towards the balcony door and dropping the toys altogether Yongsun quickly runs out of Namjoon's embrace.

Yoongi closes the balcony door behind him and can see them all staring. he takes a seat on the patio sofa and pulls Yongsun up on his lap.

"you know how we were talking about the moon, and the stars earlier?"
"yupp" he points up to the sky where a crescent moon shines brightly on one side and the sun has set completely on the other end leaving the sky in dark hues of purple and blue.
Yoongi brings his hand down to capture his attention fully "and do you remember what i told you about you and mommy?"

Yongsun rests his head on his shoulder and answers.

"yup, she's the sun and i'm the moon"

his voice is quiet and tranquil yet it leaves him feeling a hot burn at the pit of his stomach. it credits Hoseok's words, that in fact he knows and remembers everything. even the little things he blurted out months ago as he was tiredly trying to put him to bed. he glups before speaking, but it hardly goes down over the lump in his throat.

"and do you remember the rhyme?"
"yup"
Yoongi waits but after a few moments Yongsun's face falls and he shakes his head apologetically "i don't remember daddy"