Chapter Nineteen - Chord and Chorus

Start from the beginning

We rode in silence all the way to the training fields. When we arrived, I saw Fallon's car in the parking lot.

Can't wait to explain this to her, I thought, looking down at my splint.

She was already standing behind Luca's truck when I got out.

I smiled sheepishly.

"What the hell?" She asked, hands on her hips.

I saw Luca stop on the other side of the truck to watch the exchange.

"Do you not follow advice well?" She asked me, pointing at the splint. "What's the point in me teaching you if you're not going to listen?"

Luca cleared his throat.

Fallon shook her head and took a deep breath.

"I thought we discussed that you don't punch someone dead on?" She said as she pinched the bridge of her nose, her voice calmer now.

"I've learned my lesson," I assured her.

She sighed.

"Well, did you kick his ass?"

"I mean, I guess?" I said, looking at Luca to determine whether it would be inappropriate to admit the guy was dead.

"How bad is it?" Fallon asked as she walked over to inspect the splint herself.

"Four to six weeks," I told her.

"Is that the mandated time or just recommended?"

"Mandated," Luca answered for me.

She shrugged.

"We can do more cross training and legwork for the time being," she said. "Shouldn't be an issue to start on kicks as long as we get your balance right this week."

Wonderful.

"I just want to run today," I told her.

"Everything alright?" She asked as she turned her back to Luca, her voice getting lower.

"Didn't sleep well last night," I answered shortly.

Fallon hummed.

"Let me know if you need a break," she said. "I've got a comfortable couch if you need a night or two."

I smiled.

"Thanks."

Sighing, I held up my hair tie.

"Could you help me pull my hair back?"

Fallon nodded and took the tie.

"Do you want me to braid it so it will stay longer?"

I nodded.

As soon as she had finished yanking every strand of hair in the braid out of my scalp, I rubbed my head slowly.

Sure it will stay longer, I thought. I won't be able to get it out of the braid.