Chapter 1: -Beginning of the Start of the End-

Najma could hardly contain himself, bouncing in place as his eyes darted around to land excitedly on the dark walls of the branching cave system that contained his room, and those of all the other younglings. These dark caves and tunnels had been his entire world for so long, but today would end that.

This would be his first time outside the nursery.

He was apparently still far too young for this, though he by no means felt it, so he wouldn't be allowed out for very long, but he would still be able to leave the cramped space for the first time in his life. What would he find out there? Surely it must be something spectacular... the intrigue surrounding the outside world had sunk its claws into him and reeled him all the way into its grasp.

Would it be terribly bright outside? Enough to fry his eyes out? maybe...

The only light that he'd ever known had come from moss that grew on the ground and part way up the walls. It only gave out a faint, green-tinged light, but it was still light nonetheless. He'd never seen anything else, but he'd heard the elders talking of how different it was on the outside, and how much they missed it. Surely if they missed it, then it wouldn't be dangerous enough to fry anyone's eyes out.

He didn't blame them for missing the outside, either. He'd already explored every nook and cranny that he could get away with exploring, and he now missed the outside world before he'd ever even set foot there. He could tell that none of the others his age were as anxious as he was to leave the dark caves. It was all they had known and they were perfectly content with that, but he could feel the outside world on the edge of his mind, pulling him with a constant insistence that he couldn't let himself forget.

He always felt that tug on the back of his mind, telling him that there was a whole world that he hadn't seen yet.

It was part of the great consciousness he'd heard the elders talking about, even though he knew very well that they didn't like him to eavesdrop. He couldn't help it. He'd learned so many things, and hadn't gotten in any real trouble for it. It was because they couldn't keep their thoughts quiet that he knew what he would be when he was grown, and he also knew they were shocked that he did. He was under the impression that everyone should know.

And all of them just might figure it out after the old nurses let him out nearly months before he should be allowed. They would all know and he'd revel in it.

He now sat impatiently, his tail swishing back and forth over the floor, in the middle of a large, circular room with a craggy, domed roof draped in glowing mosses. This was the central hub of the nursery, and every other tunnel and chamber eventually led back to it, if only with a bit of walking.

The tunnels typically went for about ten to twenty feet off of the main room, and then ended in a bubble of space, just large enough for a mother and her young to nest until they were old enough to go out. Sometimes, though, the tunnel would be too small to live in comfortably; these ones were utilized as storage. Others still had been reclaimed by the darkness that had existed before the nursery had moved in. These were supposed to be off limits, and he'd explored every single one...

But Najma didn't allow himself to think about the tunnels for much longer. His heart seemed to vibrate with the tickling sensation that had filled his body at the thought of finally getting outside. An unnatural heat spread through his muzzle, making his teeth ache.

He realized suddenly that he was clenching his jaw tightly. He released the pressure and took an even breath in through his nose.

Then there was the faintest huff of breath from his mother, which was clearly meant to be taken as a release. He took off running, his stubby claws instinctively unsheathing to pierce into the moss in order to give him purchase on the flat stone.