Ch 35 ~ Lingering Days

Start from the beginning

Outside, a cloud passes across the sun, throwing the room into shadow. Shaking my head, I cast the thought out. I wouldn't think of such things. Not on such a sunny day like this.

The sunlight returns to the room and I begin to read the book I had started yesterday, but find I can't seem to focus on it as more and more memories rise to the surface of my mind. My hands itch to do something with themselves.

After about a half hour of trying to read, Varissë comes bustling into the room, freshly folded laundry balanced in one hand. Greeting me brightly, she sets about tidying up the room. My empty cup of tea sits forgotten on the table but as she whisks it away, the lingering aroma of the lavender awakens my mind, giving me an idea to put the restlessness of my mind and hands to use. Reading wasn't working so I'd need to find another way to distract myself.

And although Varissë had just returned, I promptly send her out once again with a list of items to retrieve from the healers wing.

~~~

The curtains click as Varissë tugs at them, shutting out the darkness of the world outside the room, the sun already set.

I barely notice the late hour. My mind is completely absorbed in the work in front of me, mixing pastes and crushing herbs.

Its been so long since I'd last mixed my own healing supplies. With everything going on in the last few months, I hadn't noticed how much I had missed it.

Arwen and I would sometimes spend entire days experimenting with different herbs and roots, trying to perfect old remedies and create new ones. Nana often joined us, bringing along a few books on healing sent by Ada, and then proceed to chide us about the mess we were making. Although Ada had taught her a few basic healing practices, she never seemed to have developed the same interest in it as Arwen and I had.

So now, with my hair braided back and my fingers stained with color, it was like a little piece of home. Complete with the mess.

Books, herbs, and all sorts of mixing tools were strewn in every direction across the carpeted floor where I had set up shop. Varissë had tried to tidy up the room at one point but quickly realized it was useless. Now, she was finishing up with lighting the evening candles.

"If it is alright with you, my lady, I'll be turning in for the night," she calls to me, doing one final sweep of the room.

I glance up. "Of course. Good night Varissë."

She gives me a quick curtesy, and I return my attention to my work in front of me.

A light knock on the door interrupts my focus.

Who could that be? It was late, and no one had come in nearly a week.

Varissë goes to answer it. I faintly hear her recite the standard "I'm sorry but my lady is not feeling well" line I had told her to say if anyone should come looking for me as I continue to work with my herbs.

A soft sigh of disappointment comes from the other side of the doors, followed by a reply.

"Would you give her this, then?"

My ears perk up, hands pausing their mixing.

I know that voice. My heart skips a beat, despite my wishing that it wouldn't.