.39. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇʏ ғɪɴᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴜɴɪᴛᴇ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ᴅʀᴀɢɢᴇᴅ ᴛʜɪs ᴏᴜᴛ ʟᴏɴɢ ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ

Start from the beginning

"You've all gone mad, I swear!" Angelo had never looked so enraged. In fact, people had never witnessed him angry, and now that they had, they kinda wished they hadn't. The sight was positively frightening. With a smile that was nowhere to be found and eyes as dark as the skies before a storm, the rage brewing underneath the contained facade threatened to unleash unspeakable suffering upon them.

Except Angelo had better things to do than to lecture them about the fire in their veins which consistently contributed to cloudy judgements and irrational verdicts. So, instead of wasting his time trying to reason with the wary mob, he knelt by the stranger's side and gently lifted his head up. "Hey there," he said with a concerned grin.

Jungkook smiled back, quite at loss as to what had just happened and why. "Italian folks are lovely people," he managed to utter, throat still sore from all the choking.

"I won't let them hurt you, I promise." Taehyung looked around at the two factions who had resumed arguing over this new development: Angelo was friends with the mafia. "They do things a little differently here. Being Continentals and all," he added with a shrug.

"Were you here the whole time?"

"I was."

"I should have come sooner. Forgive me."

"Stop talking and start walking. We need to get out of here before they run out of insults to throw at each other."

Jungkook couldn't help but chuckle at that as they slipped away from the rumpus. They had already made it all the way up a side street when they heard the shout.

"KIM TAEHYUNG!"

Carina's voice echoed in the empty cobbled alleyway.

The man turned around, shocked to hear her call him by his name. "How do you know?"

A sad smile graced her lips. "How could I forget?" She walked up to them and stopped when she arrived within arm's reach. Cautiously, she placed a hand on Taehyung's cheek, purposely avoiding Jungkook's glare.

"You were my first kiss. My only kiss!"

"Carina, I was only fourteen!" Taehyung uttered apologetically, voice breaking at the memory of their teenage fling.

To Jungkook, this sounded very much like a huge misunderstanding which would disperse in a matter of seconds. However, Taehyung's distorted face and trembling shoulders had him wonder what this somewhat random domestic squabble was really all about.

"And I was twelve," replied the girl. "So what? My parents kissed when they were ten."

Taehyung lifted a shaky hand to his mouth, feeling noxious. "I-I didn't think you'd remember."

"Like I said, how could I forget?"

Jungkook believed the situation was turning into a farce and placed himself in between them, eager to get this confusion over with and head back to his hotel where he and Taehyung had some catching up to do. They were both still bloody soaking wet for crying out loud! "Listen, miss. He told you he was only fourteen at the time. We all make mistakes. You just happen to be one of them."

To his surprise. Taehyung didn't back him up. "This is Europe, Jungkook. You kiss means you're together."

"Huh?"

"They do things a little-"

"-differently, yeah. I get it now." Jungkook ran a frustrated hand through his damp locks.

Taehyung took Carina's hands in his own and cleared his throat to regain a semblance of composure. "You deserve to be happy, bella, but not with me."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm with him now."

They all noticed how hard he was trying not to hurt her feelings, but that did not stop Carina from pushing her luck. "You just kissed him once. I can forgive you."

Taehyung bit his lips, taking a precautionary step back. "Actually, we did more than just kiss."

Any Italian girl would have snapped at the inappropriate disclosure and slapped the shameless cheater. But Carina wasn't just anyone. She took a deep breath before letting out a soft sob. "I always knew you were too good for me."

She eyed Jungkook up and down. "I can't compete with him," she added, admitting defeat. One look at the handsome stranger had made her realize this was a fight she couldn't win. She graciously agreed to a farewell hug and even managed to smile through quiet tears, as the two men waved her goodbye.

That night, she came to knock on Manuel's door.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡