twenty

Hyunjae knew that Yerin probably would want him to concentrate in class. He understood that she was feeling a lot of guilt towards him right now and that she felt that she shouldn't burden him more by making him skip school. 

He understood all of that, but he couldn't get his mind off of her. 

All-day in school, his thoughts kept going back to her. How was she doing? Was she okay? Why hadn't he received a call? Well, that was a good thing... wasn't it?

And as much as he hated to admit it, his mind kept going back to the kiss as well. 

Whenever he closed his eyes he could imagine her lips on his. He could feel her hands in his hair and his on her waist. 

He wanted to do it again. 

The thought surprised him, and at the back of his mind, he wondered "what about Hyewon? Have you moved on already? So easily?" 

His feelings were confusing, so he was trying to ignore them. Unfortunately, he was failing spectacularly. 

"Hyunjae, what's wrong?" Hyewon asked. He looked up at her, and Juyeon by her side. 

It was lunchtime now. One more class to go and then he could get home to Yerin. He consoled himself with that thought. He eased his worries by telling himself that he hadn't gotten a call yet and that she was fine. She probably just has a cold or something. She was fine.

"I'm okay," he said, forcing a smile. 

"Um... Hyunjae...?" 

Hyunjae studied Hyewon's face. She looked nervous as she spoke.

"We want to tell you something," she said quickly, so fast that he almost didn't make out the words. 

"Go ahead," he said, already having an idea of what this was all about. Beside her, Juyeon's face was also full of anxiety. 

"We're dating," Juyeon said, taking Hyewon's hand in his. 

Hyunjae waited for the pain he'd expected that declaration to bring. 

But he felt nothing. 

Why, wouldn't Yerin be surprised. Here he was, probably acting off script again. He pictured her face when he told her about it, that cute expression of wonder and surprise she sometimes got. 

Her heart skipped a beat. Here he was, at what probably should have been a devastating part of his life, thinking about Yerin. 

"Congratulations!" he told the two of them. "It's about time," he joked. 

He saw Hyewon let out a sigh of relief, and Juyeon visibly relaxed. 

Aww, they were worried about him. That's cute. He truly did have good friends. 

Friends. 

Had his feelings for Hyewon truly gone away? Did he feel anything right now? Not really, his mind was just on Yerin. 

Yerin, who it would be disastrous to develop feelings for. 

Because eventually, she'd have to leave him.