fifteen

Hyunjae led the way to the bus stop, where they waited together. She kept glancing at their hands. Truly, she couldn't help it. She felt like she may be developing a crush... but she quickly pushed that thought aside. It was impossible. She just felt affection for him because he was her character, that was all. 

"You don't have a bus card, do you?" he asked her after a moment. 

Yerin shook her head apologetically, and he squeezed her hand in reassurance. 

"Don't worry, I'll pay for us both," he said as the bus pulled up to the curb. They both got in, and after paying for both of them, he led her to seats where they could sit side by side, still holding hands. 

Again, her eyes kept flickering to their hands. 

"Does it make you uncomfortable?" he asked, starting to pull away. 

"No!" she blurted, tightening her grip on his hand and stopping him from pulling away. She blushed. "I mean... no. I like it, actually," she admitted, blushing harder. 

"Me too," he told her softly. 

Yerin glanced up at him in surprise. He gave her a bashful smile and shrugged. 

"Have you ever dated before?" he asked her. 

She shook her head. "Nope. Never. I'd always been too focused on my studies to do much dating. You?" 

"I had one 'girlfriend' when I was eight," he said, his eyes full of laughter. "We were neighbors. But that's about it." 

"That's so cute," she laughed. "I didn't know that about you." 

"You don't know everything about me," he said, playfully winking at her. 

"I didn't realize you were such a flirt," she teased, winking back at him. 

He took his hand out of hers and instead put it around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. He moved his face so close that their noses were practically touching. 

"Only with you," he whispered, a small smile gracing his face. 

Her heart practically stopped, and for a moment all she could do was stare at him, wide-eyed. Then she snapped out of it and shook her head. She pushed him away. "Stop that!" she whispered, placing a hand over her heart, trying to calm herself down. "You're making me blush," she whined, pouting at him playfully. 

He laughed, taking his arm away from her shoulders and holding his hand out to her again. She took it, without hesitation. 

"Aren't my flirting skills great?" he said proudly. 

"10/10, for sure," she agreed, debating whether or not to put her head on his shoulder. It was a cute couple thing she'd always wanted to do on a date. 

"If I'd tried it with Hyewon earlier, maybe she would have fallen for me," Hyunjae said, a hint of sadness in his voice. 

Her thoughts scattered. "Do I remind you of her?" she asked him. "I mean... does my being with you... is that a constant reminder that you won't be with her? Is it painful?" 

Hyunjae turned to face her, his eyes gentle. He cupped her face in his hands and placed a kiss on her forehead. 

"When I'm with you, I usually don't think of her. I usually don't think of anyone else. I just think of you... and I can't seem to think of much else," he whispered. 

Yerin smiled and made her decision. She placed her head on his shoulder. 

"I'm-" 

"Don't," he said sternly. "Not again. I don't ever want to hear you say sorry to me again, you hear that?" 

She laughed. "I'll try my best." 

"I'll make a lot of good memories from here on out," he promised, taking his hand out of hers and putting it back around her shoulders. 

She closed her eyes, trying to keep the giddy grin off of her face. 

"Let's make a lot of good memories together," he whispered. 

And that just made her smile more.