nine

"Yerin, you have to tell me who you are," Hyunjae begged her as soon as they got into his apartment. "If you're living with me for now, don't I deserve to know?" 

"You won't believe me even if I told you," she said softly, going to sit on the couch. He sat beside her, his eyes confused and pleading. "Besides, that could mess everything up-" She stopped talking, another wave of guilt crashing over her. 

Was she kidding? Did she really care more about her book right now than his feelings? He was right. He did deserve to know. And afterwards, he'd probably kick her out. He'd probably hate her. As he should. 

And yet it was difficult. She'd been working on that book for years. The idea that she could mess it up was terrifying, and a large part of her didn't want to risk it.

Hyunjae was just a character. He was two dimensional. Not real. 

Right? 

But looking into his eyes, she wasn't so sure. His eyes held emotions, emotions that were raw and real. Emotions that she couldn't bring herself to ignore. 

Because sitting beside her was a boy. A boy who was sweet and kind and gentle, a boy who'd been wearing his heart on his sleeve. A boy whose heart was being broken, little by little. A boy who deserved to know the truth. 

"Hyunjae," she said softly. "You're probably not going to believe this, but-" 

She was interrupted when his phone rang. For a second, she didn't think it would be a problem. She assumed that he'd simply hang up and she'd be able to confess, and finally get rid of the giant feeling of guilt that continued to crush her. 

But when he saw the contact, his face changed, and he got up from the couch. 

"I'll... give me a minute," he told her, heading to his room to take the call. 

When he left, Yerin put her head in her hands, desperately wondering how she could possibly explain everything to him. 

And more importantly, wondering how she could earn his forgiveness. 

Because she was struck with a thought. It came almost out of the blue, but she suspected the feeling had been building up ever since she'd arrived. Ever since he'd first shown her his kindness. 

She wanted to be his friend. 

And she didn't want to lose him. 

Not now, not ever. 

That thought scared her. 

Because eventually, she'd have to leave, right?