"What're you on about?" he questions.

I rush to the cupboard, pull out the bag, and take it back to Nick.

"As I said, I didn't know if this is over the top or inappropriate, so I thought I'd give it to you before we see your parents. If it's not appropriate, then you can get rid of it."

He takes the bag and fishes out the little frame I had made. The print is of a paw print with a stethoscope around it, and Georgina's name on it in Scrabble letters.

"Aspen..."

I watch the tears build up in his eyes and he quietly chokes out a sob. The tears escape down his cheeks. I frown and wipe his tears away.

"Sorry, just get rid of it. I didn't—I wouldn't—I didn't know—"

"Aspen... stop..." He smiles through his tears. "It's... it's amazing."

My heart beats again, and I sigh in relief. "Really? I remember your mum telling me she wanted to be a vet, and I thought if you wanted it could go on her grave or your mum could keep it or something, I don't know, I just—"

He shuts me up by pulling me to him and kissing my lips.

"How did you even think of something like that?" he questions. "You're perfect."

"Shut up, I saw something like it on the internet and found someone," I say. "I didn't know if you guys do something like that for her, but I thought it'll last longer than flowers and it's personal."

"You're a marvel," he whispers.

"Aspen-man, away!" I joke, pretending to be a superhero.

He chuckles. "I love you more than anything in this world."

"I love you too."

══════════════════

"Aspen! Pen! Ick! Ick!"

Gabriel's little chubby legs pound across the field towards us, and all at once, I can see why they bring him to this kind of acknowledgement of Georgina's birthday. Both Hannah and Neil look like they haven't slept.

It's been three years; a drop of the ocean of time, yet I can see that to her parents and Nick, it still feels like yesterday.

"Hey, little buddy!" Nick picks him up and whirls him around. His little voice laughs.

"He'll be sick if you carry on, and I only have spare clothes for him!" Hannah calls as they reach us. She turns to me. "I heard how he ruined the surprise!"

"Never been a patient man, have you, my son?" Neil says and claps Nick on the shoulder. "Congratulations!"

"Let's see it!" Hannah says, and I show her the ring. "Gorgeous! Congratulations."

They both engulf me in a hug that is full of hope and yet so full of sorrow at the same time. It makes me glad Nick proposed last night.

They set up a picnic blanket under a tree and produce sandwiches, fruit and crisps with a selection of cake put away from Gabriel's eyes for later.

"It's a selection of Georgina's favourites. She bloody loved picnics – egg sandwiches specifically, she'd always have mango and then cheese and onion crisps," Nick explains. "She loved chocolate cupcakes, so that's what we have after."