Chapter 5: Cats and Naps

Cat Boy

Cat Boy

Hey, wanna hang out?

Sunshine

Sure

Cat Boy

Okay, meet me at the cat cafe on 2472 Sakura street

Sunshine

Okie! I'll be there in about 20 mins

---

Runa sighs, looking at her face in the mirror. Her hair is dishevelled, fresh tears stain her cheeks and her eyes are bloodshot. Large bags and dark circles are visible on her face. Instead of putting her hair in its usual braid, she ties it up in a messy bun. She throws on a sweatshirt and a pair of jeans. Runa splashes water in her face before slipping on her white converse and walking out the door. 

While walking down the street she notices a boy drop his ice cream. She approaches the crying child, "Hey there little guy!" He sniffles, "H-hi..." Runa looks up at his mother, who looks stressed. "Excuse me ma'am, but, how much was his ice cream cone?" She asks, the woman looks at her, "$2.32, why?" Runa smiles at her, handing her $10, "Here, buy him another ice cream, and get something for yourself, too. You seem stressed." The woman thanks her, "Oh, miss, wait- here, let me give you my number! That way if you ever need someone to watch him, you can give me a call." The woman smiles gratefully at her, "Thank you, young lady." The blue-haired girl nods, her smile never leaving her face. "Of course!" The woman and her child bid their goodbyes and Runa continues on her way, seeing a familiar purple-haired boy watching her.

Runa jogs up to him, "Hiii!! Shinsou!!" She says smiling as she hugs him, Shinsou's eyes widen in surprise before he returns her hug, "How are you??" Runa asks, still hugging him. After a second she lets go, taking a step back. "I'm good, but, how are you doing, since, y'know.." Runa smiles brightly, "I'm good! Dad will be okay, he always is. Him and my mom are the number one heroes after all!" Shinsou stares at her confused, Runa chuckles, "Well, my number one heroes.." The purple-haired boy makes an 'o' shape with his mouth as he opens the cafe door, "After you." The girl giggles, "Why thank you, sir." 

The pair walk into the cafe and immediately notice the cats openly wandering around. A black and white spotted cat, walks up to Runa, purring as it rubs its head against her leg. Runa smiles and kneels down, rubbing the cat's head. Shinsou smiles softly as he watches his friend. Now that he got a better look at her, he notices how tired she looks. Her messy hair is tied into a bun, the bags under her eyes are visible despite her attempt to hide them, and her movements lack the usual energy that she has. But the thing that stands out the most is her smile, she may be smiling, but it doesn't reach her eyes. It's almost as if she's smiling to convince herself that nothing's wrong.

He sighs, sitting next to her. "She wouldn't tell me if I ask, so I just have to hope she'll open up on her own..." He places his hand on her back rubbing it slightly, "Yasuda, I'm going to go order my drink, do you want anything?" He asks in a quiet voice. Runa nods, "Oh, could you get me a cappuccino? I didn't sleep much last night." She states truthfully. Shinsou nods, getting up he walks over to the counter.

"Hi, how may I help you?" The waitress asks, she's an older woman with greying hair. "Oh, um, can I have a black coffee and one cappuccino?" The woman nods, "Of course, is that your girlfriend over there?" She asks, Shinsou shakes his head, "No, she's just my friend. But I wanted to take her somewhere to get her mind off some things." The lady nods understandingly, "Well, you're a good friend, kiddo. I'm Yui Yamamoto, the owner of this cafe." She extends her hand for the purple-haired teen to shake. Shinsou accepts, shaking her hand, "Hitoshi Shinsou." Yamamoto smiles, "I'll get those drinks right out for you."

---

After a long day, Shinsou takes Runa home, Runa looks up at him, "Hey, Shinsou? Do you think we could have a sleepover?" She asks excitedly. Shinsou chuckles, "Sure, my folks are out of town anyways." Runa grins and pulls him into the living room, she closes the door and goes to the kitchen to make snacks. "Pick a movie to watch on Netflix while I get popcorn." She calls from the kitchen. Shinsou answers with an 'ok' and grabs the tv remote, flipping through the movies.

After about five minutes he finally settles on a comedy and waits for Runa to come back. Runa grins as she plops down on the couch next to Shinsou and offers him popcorn as the movie starts.

The evening is filled with laughter and jokes until Runa falls asleep. Shinsou chuckles quietly, covering her up with a blanket and carefully moves to the chair opposite of the couch and falls asleep.

---

Shinsou is woken up by the sound of breaking glass, He quickly gets up and hurries to the kitchen, where he sees Runa frozen in place as she stares blankly in front of her, in her mind, she was back in time, in that filthy damp room, the blood-stained clothes hanging loosely on her body, everything is muffled, but the one thing she can make out is her mother screaming in agony as she's tortured. Time seems to slow, moving like molasses. 

A second later she moves, "What the hell?" She turns to see Shinsou looking at her, slight worry in his eyes. "Runa are y-" She smiles, "Yep! I just spaced out, nothing to worry about." Her eyes trail to the shattered glass on the tile floor, "Oh, I guess I dropped my glass." She opens the cabinet under the sink and grabs the mini dustpan and broom, "Hey, Shinsou, do me a favour and grab a plastic bag from the pantry." "Alright." While Shinsou goes to retrieve the bag, Runa sweeps the glass into the dustpan. After a second Shinsou returns, holding the bag open for Runa to put the glass in. She ties the bag and puts it in the trash can.

Even though Runa said she was fine, Shinsou couldn't help but feel like something was wrong with the girl. "She said not to worry, I should just forget it for now." When the two got back to the living room Runa pats the spot beside her on the couch, grabbing the tv remote. "I don't think I'll be able to fall back asleep, so let's watch another movie." Shinsou smiles softly, and sits next to her, pulling the blanket up as Runa puts on a horror movie.

As the movie progresses Runa becomes more and more relaxed, snuggling up closer to Shinsou, yawning quietly. Runa's eyes widen slightly, jolting up she startles the boy next to her. "Runa?" He asks, but she was already running upstairs. About two minutes later she comes back down holding a yellow rabbit plushie. She slips back under the covers, scooting closer to her sleepy cat-loving friend. Slowing but surely both teens fall asleep. 

---

The next two days go by quickly, Shinsou stays and keeps Runa company, trying his best to cheer her up. They do a lot of stupid things ranging from Runa literally taking him to do roof parkour to messing with Bakugou by prank calling him using Shinsou's phone. When they weren't doing things they took naps, watched movies, or visited the cat cafe. Needless to say, Shinsou provided exactly what Runa needed, a distraction from all the stress in her life. Unfortunately, today was the day that classes were supposed to start back up, meaning no more staying up late watching horror movies and eating junk food.

Runa is currently getting ready to start the day, wondering what could possibly be in store for her class.

---

Sorry, this wasn't exactly a full chapter, this was just supposed to be a filler. I also didn't proofread.. qwq

- Tsukii