Aid (Ch.10)

Waking up the next day was exhausting; everything seemed to be easy. Almost appeared impossible. Didn't help either that Alexis didn't show up for school today either. I barely listened to the classes taking place. Instead, I turned to Bastion as break took place.

Bastion: "Come on, why don't we try out luck at the store today. I heard they put a new prize in."

Y/N: "Maybe another time..."

Bastion: "What's wrong? Something happening in dreamland or Mindy?"

Y/N: "No, it's just complicated. I need to go to the bathroom."

Bastion: "Alright..."

I never really went to the bathroom; instead, I went to the roof and sat there for a long time. Questioning what happened last night, it always seemed like someone would be getting the worst of it.

Y/N: 'What should I do...'

My powers, once upon a time, could change the memories of a person. But after that little stunt with Zane, I was finding it very hard to draw on them. Now, they have certainly been locked away.

Poki: "What's wrong?"

I hadn't even realized it yet, but I had been staring at my hand. Studying the wavelengths of my hand, how intricate it appeared.

Y/N: "Nothing... Poki. Just a bit angry is all."

Poki: "At what?"

Y/N: "Just, stupid things... Like Mindy being captured by Jinzo or Alexis being held by Ha Des. They shouldn't have been in the crossfire. Maybe I should've been more forceful, even pushed them away. Then, this wouldn't be happening to them."

Poki landed in front of me and held my hand. His big cuddly eyes staring at me in a knowing tone.

Poki: "Lady Joana use to have this saying for warriors that have suffered pain. 'A Soul that carries empathy is a soul that has survived enormous pain.'"

I smiled knew what he meant.

Poki: "We can't change the past... But maybe we can learn from it. Sometimes, tragedy teaches us to be better than we were before. I know it's taught me to be better."

Y/N: "Really... How?"

Poki points to Needle Burrower.

Poki: "There used to be more of me. I mean, baby dragons like me. But, a while back, we got attacked by this dark monster. I've never seen anything move like it. Darting from shadow to shadow, hunting us down. I remember losing a lot of friends, and then Joana found me. Placed me in The Sanctuary in the Sky. Where all the fairies were... I began to hate all dark monsters. But, spending time with Needle Burrower, I understand. That I was wrong."

I picked Poki up and held him close to my chest.

Poki: "I miss momma and papa. But, I think I know why Joana sent me to you. It was to help you and see how closed-minded I was. Maybe, the only way you can learn is through pain and regret. I'm sure there are other ways... But, I don't think you should keep blaming yourself."

I nodded and thanked Poki. Making Poki groan and move out of arms. Floating right above me.

Poki: "Alright, that's enough; I like being cuddled as much as the next guy. But I'm a dragon. I'm strong and powerful."

Y/N: "I know, Poki."

Poki: "Good, now I'm going to explore for a bit. Needle Burrower, do you want to come?"