Yearning

I really don't want to bring attention to this, cause I'm really smart.. but the inside of my head really is empty.

I can tell something is about to happen but honestly- I really thought I'd have a guide this time.

I don't know how this is going to keep working, but I also don't know any other way to do this because Cat can't tell me anything. So I'm on my own.

"Wouldn't be the first time..," I laughed softly to myself.

Then I feel something pulling me from behind like a hook and I scrunch my eyes really tight as I let myself be pulled away.

"Ever, my little love.. a strong voice held me in place, "soon you will awaken to powers beyond what you'd ever imagined. I will not be able to be there for you, but I am always with you though you may not remember me... I have given you whatever help I could and all of it you will receive after each lesson you learn- because these lessons will help you to reach your final goal. I love you little one... Remember I am with you always.."

My mind was racing but I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could remember who this was..

I'm not fazed anymore, now that I know its going to get more and more confusing.

I'm ready for it though- I had to be.

I opened my eyes to sunlight and jaunty voices singing an old shanty, 

"The ole Maiden is our home sweet home

The first Aphrodite from waves of foam

Where any a sailor is a lucky to roam

As long as they pledge their soul 

But the Maiden, she withers, her bow has gone soft and grey

But still she will seek pleasure; the warm golden glow of treasure 

Forever 'til she sinks forlornly into the bay"

I wince as I walk towards them, adjusting the coat around my shoulders. 

I've tried to get to know them, but they refuse to try to get to know me back and I don't know how to continue a conversation with people who give me one worded answers.

I feel my kitty friend at my side, and I push my hands through the fur on his head next to his ears.

"They're starving Ever." I hear his low rumble in my head.

"Why are you telling me this Cat?"

"Because you're their Captain now, and you need to start understanding that you're not better than them just because you bested their previous Captain."

I winced, "I don't think I'm better than anybody."

"Then show them that. They think you don't care about them."

"I've been trying to have conversations with them!"

He growled and smacked my leg with his paw, chuffing in displeasure. 

"If you don't want people to underestimate you Princess, think smarter not harder. You can do this, I've seen it!"

I sighed, and walked towards the edge of the boat.

"Crew! Who's hungry?"

Everyone knows the fastest way to a heart is through food, right?