Twenty-three

Loki and Beth had landed in an island off the coast of Mexico. Nearing the west. Loki tried staying as close to Beth as possible. Hoping maybe she could read his mind. She hadn't tried. But if she did they would catch her. And if they knew the team could see them on the satellite they would have vanished. Modiur leads them inside of a large cave area where there were cells everywhere. And there were variants in those cells. More of them were powerful. And what would they need with all of that power?

Modiur comes to a sudden stop. He looks at the working men, the ones filing papers, and gathering information. And he nods to them. He looks to Loki and Beth. They didn't say a word.

"These two are to be taken to our higher end suite, with extra protection," Modiur says. Beth looks at Loki in fear. She didn't realize it at the time but he could help them escape. Eventually if they had the tactics. But Loki knew how dangerous they were. And he was okay with being trapped at the moment because Thor wouldn't give up until he found them.

"As you wish," one of the guards spoke. Two of the guards grabbed them by the arms and pushed them forward. They walked slowly looking at all the other prisoners.

"Please help us," one of the girls begged. Beth looked at her seeing her grey color. As if they had been draining her. Loki noticed her fear and he nudged her nodding to her. He escaped once. He could do it again. But this time they had double the security and it would be harder.

"Here we are," the guard says holding Beth. He shoves her inside of the room. It was an old dusty room with 1 couch that was musty and a toilet. Almost like a prison. There were iron doors to seal them in with a small window for food or water. And there was also one small sink. Not a lot for a prison cell. But more than the others received.

"Well, enjoy your stay," the other guard says shoving Loki in with her. And Closing the door. Loki scoffed his feet against the ground. Beth sat on the old sofa. Dust flying up in her face. She coughed as if she had inhaled a lot of smoke.

"Well, at least we have a sofa, that's more than the others received," she said making a joke. He didn't laugh. He was upset with her and himself.

"This is no laughing matter Beth, we are trapped here until Thor finds us or we figure a way out," he said. She bowed her head. She felt bad for saying it but she was trying to lighten the mood.

"Look, I'm sorry I'm just, trying to get you to understand that this is no game, this is serious, these men are maniacally vein and there way of getting information involves poking at your brain. It's not as fun as you think," Loki tells her. She nods remembering how much danger they were in. And how much she missed home. She began to cry but not enough to make a sound. Just silent tears.

"Beth, please do not cry, I would sacrifice myself to make sure you made it safely back to the team, I'm sorry I got you involved," he said. She nods and looks at him.

"I made you come back, and I worried for you, there is no limit to friendship and caring about someone I would do it again, but I also know that we are here now and that's all we know, this cafe was designed for suppressing our power, see the light over the door?" She asked. He looked and over the door was a green light.

"That's radium it suppresses my power, as it does yours there's more than that in there though, they extracted some of the power stone before you took it, it's keeping us in here," she told him. He thought she was so brilliant. And he admired her for that.

"Beth that's brilliant, we can destroy that, and restore our power," he said. She places her hands on her knees.

"Have you lost your mind," he puts a hand to her.

"On the contrary I've found it, you have given me the most marvelous idea, and I don't compliment often," he said. She raises an eyebrow.

"I'll bite," she said. He walks over to the light and touches it. It shocks him. He grunts in pain. She stands up quickly looking at his hand.

"Loki, are you okay," she asked. He looks down at her, and he gives a compassionate look.

"I'm alright, no need to fret about me," he said. He was amused with how quickly she wanted to take care of him. She seen a blister on his hand. As if it had burned him. So she guides him to the sink and turns the cold water on. Placing his hand under the faucet.

"Beth really I'm quite alright," he said. She wouldn't stop though. She felt guilty and stressed. And her emotions were everywhere. He grabs her shoulder with his free hand.

"Beth, I'm alright," he said. She looked at him and grinned at him just a tad. And then let's him go.

"Sorry I just thought you were hurt is all," she said. He nods and grins at her.

"Well at least we know I have a nurse if needed, but I heal quickly," he said sitting on the sofa. The window opened and Modiur was standing in it.

"Ah, good, you're still awake, I need you both to put these on," he says slipping brown colored prison suits in the window. Oddly enough the same ones that the others had on. Loki stepped up grabbing them. And handing Beth hers.

"Hurry now, I have someone for you to meet," Moduir says.

After he leaves they look at each other. He couldn't be serious, right? Wrong he was very serious. And the head of the operations was here. So they HAD to be changed. Loki looked at her and turned around. Allowing her to get dressed first. And when she finished she turned around, allowing him to dress. And the lay their clothes on the sofa.

A few minutes passed when Modiur came walking through the door with a smile on his face. He places his hands together in a joyous motion. Loki looked at Beth. They both gave each other the oddest looks.

"Is he serious, why is he always happy," Beth asked.

"I have no idea, but it's a bit strange," Loki said. Both of them follow after him.

Guards walking behind both of them. Once they arrived in the meeting room of the place, a woman turned around. She was an African American woman with short hair.

"My name is Diadra," she said. Loki looked at Beth. This was not the same one who ran the place before.

"I'm sorry, but are these jumpsuits really necessary I mean, they're not very comfortable," Loki said. Diadra chuckles.

"Of course they are, you're a prisoner, and you young man are an escaped convict," she said pointing to Loki. Beth looked at him. He rolls his eyes.

"Yes so sue me, but wasn't it Modiurs fault, if he had been watching a bit better we wouldn't be in this predicament," he said. Placing blame on Moduir.

"You're right," Diadra said. Moduir looked at her in a very surprised expression.

"Beg your pardon ma'am but he is very witty and good with knives, he took out over thirty of our men," Modiur said. Beth looked at Loki. He smirked and shrugged.

"He's a smuggling dog," Modiur said. Loki snaps his attention to Modiur.

"I'm not a furry animal, I'm a god you baboon," he smarted off. Diadra had enough.

"Enough, I brought you gear because we have a job for Beth," Diadra said. Beth was motioned for and she walked over to Diadra. Loki was held back by guards.

"Dear Beth, you're power of mind manipulation and control is so strong. You could make anyone believe anything, and I need your help," she said. Beth didn't speak. But Diadra did enough of that for both of them.

"I need you to help me become president of the u.s."