Silence

Dean had told Cas to be ready by seven.

It was seven thirty.

Dean was pacing in the library, thinking of kicking Castiel's door down.

'What the hell is taking him this long? He has one outfit.'

He had spent the majority of his day and most of the night before planning a perfect evening. He wanted to be casual about it, but how could he? He was gonna have a date. Like, an actual date.

Though with much protest and a small wrestling match, Dean was able to kick Sam out for the night, and had then gone about fussing over the entire bunker, making every detail to his liking, making sure Castiel didn't leave his room, even pulling out his fed suit. But now, it was seven thirty, and the Angel hadn't arrived.

'God dammit.' he began to make his way to Castiel's room.

"Cas?" He called. No reply.

"Jesus, Cas." This under his breath as he came to the door.

As he put his hand up to knock, the door swung open. Dean looked the man before him up and down. His mouth hung open a little, which soon formed to a grin.

There, stood Castiel. In a 3 piece, sky blue tux and bow tie, hair slicked back, a corsage in his left hand.

"Cas.." He spoke between smiling teeth "your date for the 1978 junior prom showing up any time soon?" Castiel was sent into a further state of confusion than normal.

"I believe this is the traditional attire for a 'date'. And this is for you." He handed the corsage to Dean.

"You look very nice." Dean giggled and stuck his arm out and Castiel took it, there eyes flicking back and forth from one another, cheeks flushed, like childhood crushes on the playground, both in need of another look, both unable to hold eye contact for too long.

"Where'd you get that thing, anyways?" Dean inquired.

"Oh, I have my ways." Castiel smiled and a wave of confusion passed over Dean.

He lead the Angel into the library, to their table.

"It's stupid, I know. But, I don't know...felt right."

"It's beautiful, Dean." A content little smile settled on the face of Castiel, that of comfort and affection. It widened when he looked up to see Dean's ears turning pink and his eyes crinkling from smiling.

The room was filled with the warm glow of candles, the table draped in a white blanket, meant to be a table cloth. A cheap bottle of wine and Dixie cups sat atop it. Dean beamed with pride, leading Castiel to his seat, pulling it out for the man.

"I know it's not much, but I worked with what we could afford." He said while pouring the wine. "Uh, I know you don't drink usually, but I dunno, seemed--"

"No, it's fine."

"Oh! Hold on, I'll be right back." Dean hurriedly left the room, leaving Castiel to smile to himself silently. Dean returned shortly with two paper plates holding burgers, and an even wider smile.

"I made em." He said as he places one in front of Cas. "Uh, I know you don't really eat, either..."

"It's fine, Dean, really. This is... amazing."

"Oh! Hold on, I'll be right back." Dean once again ran out of the room, leaving Castiel to sit in silence, once more, until, the silence ceased. Music began filling the high bunker walls. Dean ran in once again.

"It's uh, Vivaldi. Kind of a guilty pleasure." Vivaldi's four seasons bounded across the room as Dean settled back into his seat, gazing fondly at the Angel before him.

"So..." From Dean

"This is nice. Us. Together, like this. Under these circumstances. I'm glad we did this." From Castiel

"Yeah. You know, it is nice." Silence followed. The kind of silence that can't seem to be broken. Dean ate uncomfortably and Castiel stared intensely. Both felt the need to speak, but both could not find the words. Though somehow, they were both happy like this, in a continual state of almost speaking. Finally, Dean sighed and put his half eaten burger down.

"You know what I've always been afraid of, Cas?" The Angel furrowed his brow, deep in thought. He speaks, after racking his brain for an answer.

"No, Dean. I do not know."

"Running out of things to say." He paused, searching for the right words. "It's like, my whole life, I've been doin' nothing but cracking dumb jokes and saying stupid shit, just so I didn't have to listen to the silence, hear my own thoughts. And I've gotten by all these years, always being able to think of something to say, to know what to say. I mean, that's just what I do. But right now, I can't think of a single thing to say to you. And, man, I can't tell you how nice that feels." He looked down, semi satisfied, semi scared shitless at how radically personal he had just become.

Castiel smiled at the blushing boy.

"Dean, I think you should know, I am falling in love with you."