The Story

"You know, when Sam was a kid his favorite thing to do was watch the stars. That's why we did it so much. He was quiet, never really fit in anywhere. But man, could he look at those stars. We'd sit for hours lookin' up. Sometimes he wouldn't stop talking the entire time. Just goin' on and on about the stars. I never much listened, wish I had, looking back. But I was a kid, guess I didn't want to care. But I did end up forming some kinda opinion on em'- the stars I mean." Dean stopped, moving to glance at the Angel lying besides him, Castiel's eyes remained fixated on the pin pricks sprawled before him. Dead decided to continue.

"The stars...this is gonna sound dumb, but--"

"Nothing you say could ever sound 'dumb' to me, Dean." He spoke out of nowhere, Dean blushed, not knowing what to say, simply continued with his thought.

"The stars to me, are like...individual stories--I mean, every star out here have been witnesses to a lotta shit. Stories, adventures, all of mans triumphs and failures. Each one of these things seeing even the tiniest acts of bravery and kindness and love. Each one with thousands of stories to keep and hold." His eyes rested no longer on the stars but on the man of the sky that laid next to him. "You know, Cas. These stars have another story to keep, now."

"Ours?"

"Yeah, ours." Dean leaned in, close to Castiel's ear. "And baby, they ain't seen nothin' yet." He kissed Castiel's neck as he felt the Angel smile, slightly.

"Let's go on a date." From Dean

"A 'date'?"

"Yeah. Let's go out. Or, well, as 'out' as we can get without winged dicks trying to murder us. Let's be like a couple."

Castiel was silent for a moment.

"Okay. Yes. Let's be like a couple."

Dean smiled to himself and scooted closer to the Angel. Castiel leaned into Dean's action. Both were so silent. The breeze was cool and soft. The crickets chirped.

The man and the Angel lay on the roof of the black Impala.

Things were at peace.