Chapter 8: Feared

April 1965, Oakville Orphanage

Charlotte had trouble sleeping. She tried to go back into that time machine to travel her back to the alternate world/past, but it didn't seem to be working. All she thought about was what she done back there to The Cult. She snapped. She couldn't control her anger. It was like...she was possessed...by the demons in the afterlife...telling her to do this and controlling over her body.

Her recent actions got everyone talking, including the other caretakers and Mr. Reinald. Everyone seemed to "fear" Charlotte, but everyone else seemed to praise her and worshipped her like a goddess.

As she woke up, all the other kids seemed to still be afraid of the terrible events and probably thought: "Was Charlotte who she really was? Since when was she a demon?"

Everyone hated The Cult, but they seemed to avoid Charlotte or whisper about her whenever they passed by her. It was like the whole citizens have Oakville feared Charlotte, though she was a sweet, calm person that everyone liked and adored.

Charlotte made a fearsome reputation for herself and gained attention worldwide. She was really popular now, but only...feared by many. She didn't care anyway and tried to assure everyone it was "self-defence," which some people believed.

Nobody knew the reason why Charlotte did it, but only some people witnessing the whole thing in general knew why: it was for her daughter, Mary. Charlotte wanted the perpetrator of the crime to be DEAD. For good.

As Charlotte turned on the TV and went to the news channel, all that it was reporting was, you guessed it, Charlotte's recent actions and behaviour.

She didn't understand why her recent actions caused so much tension in the entire Oakville population. Not just that, but the whole world as well.

"Hey..."

Holly stood there behind Charlotte. She read a book about paranormal and supernatural demons. Charlotte assumed Holly didn't seem to have no other interests then solitude, reading, writing, dark arts, black magic, the paranormal and supernatural. But she didn't have interests in satanic stuff, like devils or cults.

Charlotte was frightened by Holly. Not actually frightened but frightened at the fact that a girl her age would read books like that. She thought Holly would play with dolls, fancy dress ups, tea parties, anything a girl would want to do!

"Hi..." Charlotte quietly said.

"I never knew you were a demon." Holly whispered. It was the type of whisper that seemed loud, like everyone at a distance can hear it, as if she was talking a mile a minute.

"I-I'm not," Charlotte answered back.

"No need to deny it. Your recent actions are...frightening as the demons in the afterlife," Holly said, breaking her mouth into a thin smile.

"Look, Holly...I'm deeply so sorry. My anger...just let out and I snapped. I was trying to defend myself," she said.

"It's okay. She deserved it. She deserves pain and suffering after what she did to my family and me too," Holly said.

Charlotte was relieved that Holly still trusted and liked her, but felt pretty scared that a child like her would say these type of things.

"But, I don't understand. What daughter are you talking about?" Holly asked her.

"What do you mean?" Charlotte asked.

"You mentioned a dead daughter, who was your daughter," Holly said.

"Yeah, Daphne was probably drunk or crazy," Charlotte lied, trying to forget about her dead daughter.

"Oh, alright. If you don't want to talk about it, I understand," Holly replied.