The Scorch

A/N: i swear to god yall are so impatient. 😩 Don't worry yall will have gally back in a short bit. <3

~

Long story short, we escaped the Wicked facility and now we were surrounded by miles and miles of sand. Everyone was fine but we were all boiling our asses off.

We had our first run in with the cranks when we found an abandoned shopping centre. Minho stupidly turned on the lights, causing us to be chased down.

After more running we escaped them but Winston was bitten. He was turning cranky and I soon realised why they chose that name for them. Blue veins began to appear all over his body and he was becoming more and more tired everyday but refused to be carried.

Every single building we came across in the scorch was either fallen down or extremely weak. There was no way anyone was alive.

One day we settled down under a bit of rock for some shade. Thomas and Teresa were having what looked like a very serious conversation when Winston suddenly shot the gun we had stolen from Wicked.

"Thomas! Teresa! Get down here!" I yelled. "Winston, what the hell are you doing?"

Fry quickly ripped the gun out of Winton's grasp even though he was begging for it back. He threw up black liquid and broke into a coughing fit before lying on his back.

"It's growing inside me." He lifted up his shirt.

There was a long silence until he spoke again.

"I'm not gonna make it. Please. Please." Winston held his arm out for the gun. "Don't let me turn into one of those things."

"What- Winston, no. You can fight this." I knelt beside him and grabbed his hand. I was being optimistic.

Behind me Newt took the gun from Fry and slowly walked to the other side of Winston. He placed the weapon slowly on Winston chest.

"T-thank you." He panted, "Now, get out of here."

"Goodbye, Winston." Newt whispered and walked away.

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled as a tear rolled down my dirty cheek.

"It's okay. It's n-not your fault." He smiled weakly. "Don't let the boys do anything s-stupid."

I winked and stood up and walked off with the others after they said their goodbyes. Thomas stayed there for a few more minutes before following.

We continued our journey to the right arm. We were on the top of a sand dune when a gun shot went off. I closed my eyes and listened closely to the  silence that followed. I shook my head weakly before moving onwards again.

All of us sat around a fire, thinking and talking about how Winston wasn't immune.

"I never thought I'd say this." Fry said softly as a tear slipped down his cheek, "I miss the glade."

"Same, Fry. Same." I leant my head on his shoulder trying to prevent more sobs from leaving my mouth.

-

It seemed like we were getting no closer to the mountains. Our water was beginning to run out and none of us had as much energy as before. Truth is, I hadn't slept the whole time since we had left Wicked. Newt tried to convince me to close my eyes for a bit but I refused. So, I sat in the middle of them all, picking at my nails while they slept.

I looked up and noticed some lights on in the distance. The right arm. I quickly tapped Thomas and pointed in the direction of the lights. His mouth opened with surprise.