gang bout u

maybe if you'll see me if i act badly, i try to gain your attention like this.

berkeley, CA. 2:30PM

"Alright everybody. That was beautiful. We can now start lunch." Kehlani relaxed in her director's chair as she flipped through the script her friend had written for her to direct. It was a short piece but she would do anything for her friend Hayley. They were friends since high school.

Hayley came up and gave Kehlani a Jamba juice drink. "How did you cast these people? It's like my dreams are being played out in front of me?"

"What's my name?" She flashed a toothy grin before accepting the beverage. "Thank you, mamas."

Hayley leaned against Kehlani's chair, still in awe of the scene they set up. It was modeled after a park in Los Angeles, but a tapestry of artificial stars laid behind it since it was a very abstract piece. "So, you really broke up with Sol?"

"Who?" Kehlani asked. It had been a busy few days for her and she actually did almost forget who Solana was for a second. Work consumed her everyday and she had not been home for days. She knew if she went home, she'd feel everything. Instead, she was crashing on Tyler's couch with her dog.

Hayley crossed her arms and gave Kehlani a knowing look. She always knew her too well. She could see through the bullshit. "Come on, Keh. Don't play with me."

"I'm avoiding how I feel. But can you blame me? She played me like a fool." Kehlani got up from her chair and got some snacks from the vegan snack table. "Out here thotting in places I know people. Having me look stupid."

"I know," Hayley said. "But you gotta allow yourself some healing."

"Working is my healing." The cast began to regather on the set. "Without my art, I don't know how I'll manage."

"But, when will you get a chance to relax?"

Kehlani went back to her director's chair and pondered for a moment. Relax? That would bring forth all the thoughts she didn't want to have. Everything about Solana would immediately come rushing in and then she'd close herself off. And she hated being isolated from the world. 

"Okay, Keh. How about we go to my place and we discuss your feelings over a bottle of Moet?" 

"You tryna be my shrink or something?" 

Hayley sucked her teeth. "No. That's not what I went to college for. But, let me be a friend." 

Kehlani shrugged. "Well, okay then." 

After the filming was wrapped up, they went to San Jose, where Hayley lived alone. It was a nice rancher with rainbow flamingos on the lawn. Hayley's cats roamed around the pad as Kehlani walked in and sat on Hayley's couch. Hayley went to her kitchen and poured them both glasses of wine and turned on the radio. 

Kehlani hummed along to the song as Hayley sat across from her and sat the glasses down on the coasters of the coffee table. She lit some incense to ease the stress of today's filming. The sun was going down in the windows with the blinds slightly opened. 

"So, are you really okay?" Hayley asked, taking a sip from her glass. 

"Yeah. I'm surprisingly taking this well. I think it's just because I got my own shit going on. I don't know what Sol's doing though. All the money I spent on her. She was just a chick on Skid Row. I picked her up and helped her out and this how she wanna repay me?" 

"Come on now. She was more than just a chick from Skid Row," Hayley reminded Kehlani as she crossed her legs in her bell bottom pants. "She was chasing a dream. She came from Missouri and had virtually nothing." 

"Then, she got all pampered by me and forgot about everything," Kehlani huffed through her nostrils. "I picked up a stray." 

Hayley shook her head, laughing. "You know she's my girl too." 

"You ain't tell me shit, though. I should cut your ass off too. I know you know what she was doing. You and Mala." 

"Yo. I didn't do shit. I don't even go out much," Hayley responded in defense.

Kehlani held her glass between her fingers, looking away from Hayley. She was perturbed at the thought of Amala allowing Solana to do as she pleased. She thought that they were all tight, but she guessed that that was all a lie. Maybe the only two people who had her back truly was T and Hayley. A part of her did wonder what it would be like if her and Hayley were to date. Back in high school, of course Hayley was much older. She was a senior and Keh was a freshman. She had a crush on her, but never really acted on it. Plus, back in the day Hayley was a player. She had every girl on every sports team and drama club. Things have changed. They were grown now. Esteemed in their own fields. Making money. Hell, the independence might as well be a turn on for Keh at this point. All she knew was Solana and her dependence on her. 

"Okay." Kehlani knocked off her glass of wine like it was water. "How come Mala ain't tell me shit, then?" 

"Take it easy." Hayley poured Kehlani another glass, this time a much smaller portion. "I'm sure Amala is caught up in her own little world to invest herself in y'all soap opera. And you know Sol made her own little bandit of friends since she moved up here." 

"Them thots," Kehlani said, nodding. 

Hayley laughed again. "Be nice, please." 

"Nah, because they are the same ones that be fucking with my rapper homies and talk about 'make his pockets hurt'. Like, Sol ended up just like them." 

"Keh...relax." Hayley held up the incense stick. "Don't make me cleanse you with all that negative energy." 

"Okay, okay," Kehlani said. "But, imagine if I got with you instead of Sol. We would have an empire by now."

Hayley widened her eyes and almost choked on her wine. 

"What I do?" 

"Keh...no." 

"Why not?" 

"You can't handle a woman like me." Hayley smiled. 

Kehlani sucked her teeth. "You serious, shawty?" 

"Don't shawty me." Hayley laughed with a big smile on her face. She was blushing. Kehlani knew she had her there. "That doesn't work on me. It may work on Oakland girls but not a LA woman." 

"Don't be like that. We the best thing that's never happened." 

"You only had some wine. Why you looking at me  like that?" 

"Fuck you talking bout?" Kehlani turned her deeper voice on, trying to appeal to Hayley. 

Hayley rolled her eyes, still grinning. "Kehlani." 

"You brought the Moet out and now I don't know how to act 'round you." 

"Keh, we're gonna stay friends until the end of time, I don't wanna ruin our friendship." Hayley stood up. "You want some pizza? I'm gonna order us some" 

"Your pizza," Kehlani joked before Hayley tossed a throw pillow in her direction. Kehlani threw the pillow back at Hayley's butt. Then, Hayley tackled Kehlani on the couch. She playfully hit her repeatedly before Kehlani grabbed her hands. She gave her the look that she knew all women she dated fell for. 

"Girl..." 

"You fell right into my lap, so..." Kehlani leaned in. "Let's open up this pandora's box, Hayley." Her breath was right on her neck. 

Hayley shuttered. "Keh..." 

"At least let me taste you." Kehlani winked. "We don't gotta be serious. We can just fuck around...please." She was feeling it. Those eyes were dangerous. Hayley kissed Kehlani's lips without a warning. It was like years of them just being friends were tossed out the window for a moment of lust. They were probably going to regret it in the morning, but she didn't care. This was revenge. This was a moment to forget everything she went through.