Chapter Three: The Precinct Lockdown | Part 1

Start from the beginning

"I can see you're thinking about something. Or analysing the state you're in right now. Whatever the case is, don't think too much about it," Daniel noticed from Matthew's expressions.

Matthew turned over to lie on one side instead of his back to make talking to Daniel easier. "I'm not really thinking about my condition. I'm thinking about my situation," he corrected, drooping his lip to one side.

"What's the difference? Your condition is your current situation," Daniel clarified.

"I mean," Matthew paused. "This whole creature-chasing-me-around situation. Dr Guerrero mentioned another similar attack at Central Union Tower. It seems that this isn't just one isolated event. It's a trend or something..." he frowned.

"Matthew. Stop thinking. The doctor already told me to pass this on to you. Don't think. Don't move about too much. And don't work yourself out," Daniel reminded.

"I'm sorry, I just... I think I'm growing a bit irritable and paranoid. It's probably just my concussion or something," Matthew apologised, heaving a sigh.

"Anyway, you're given a three-day leave, which means you'll return on Thursday. This also means that we may have to stay for an extra week—wait. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be talking right now," Daniel stopped himself short, forgetting that Matthew shouldn't be processing too many things despite reminding Matthew earlier. "Do you need water, though?"

"Yeah, a glass or two would be good," Matthew whispered.

"All right. I'll go get some. Just close your eyes while I'm gone," Daniel replied as he walked out of the room towards a water dispenser.

Good to have some peace and quiet, Matthew thought as soon as the long conversation ended. Nonetheless, he was quick to regret what he had just thought of in his mind.

Babies could be heard bawling, and injured patients were wailing as a result of the excruciating pain that they were experiencing. Matthew frankly wished that he could have gotten a private ward, but with a hospital that busy, it wasn't happening.

Being the patient in the corner of the room, Matthew looked out of the window. He hoped to do some stargazing, but the hateful clouds in the sky blocked out any hope of seeing a single star. All he could stare at was Allentown's town centre.

He quickly turned back up, lying on his back. Hoping to get some shuteye, he stopped thinking for a moment and just relaxed his eyes. A night sky with calming stars and comets decorating its blackish-blue hue dominated his view of the world outside. With all these fantastical, relieving elements, Matthew was just about to doze off into a deep sleep.

"Ugh. I had to endure a long queue just to get two damn cups of water. What a stupid hospital! We should have just gone to the one at 17th Street—," Daniel ranted noisily as he returned with two cups of room temperature water before realising that Matthew was trying to sleep.

"Oh... my bad. I-I'll get some rest too," he apologised, taking three big gulps of water before throwing himself onto the visitor armchair and leaning back to rest.

Matthew also got up for a moment to get a sip of water. After all that anxious panicking from his traumatic experience at the Pace's family house and all the mind-boggling thinking and processing of information afterwards, Matthew could really use some hydration to refresh him, physically and mentally.

A sip of water became a slurp, and a slurp became a gulp, and a gulp eventually became a chug, in which Matthew swallowed everything inside the Styrofoam mug even before Daniel could finish his.

"Boy, you are thirsty," Daniel remarked.

"I sure am," Matthew chuckled. "Anyway, I'm going to get some sleep for now. Talk to you tomorrow."