14. Better get the Memo

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Implied pedophilia.

💓

"What took you so long?", Jungkook asks when Jimin returns, taking his seat. He doesn't say anything, just shakes his head lightly. Jungkook frowns, raising a hand to his forehead, checking for a fever. "Are you okay? Do you not feel well, Mimi? You're shaking", he points out.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he notices Namjoon tensing up from where he's talking to an old client of their company. "I'm— I'm fine. It's just a little cold in here", Jimin answers hurriedly. Jungkook raises a brow. He obviously isn't going to believe that. The Air Conditioner is off and the whole room is so heavily packed, Jungkook feels the sweat dripping from his temples. 

"But it's not cold at all", Taehyung says before he has a chance to say it. Jimin glares at his younger brother who just narrows his eyes at him, full of suspicion. "It is cold for me", he replies, teeth gritted in annoyance. He doesn't want to worry his parents. Taehyung is a menace.

"Alright, then. We can just go home and—", Jungkook's words get cut by another voice. "Kim Jungkook-ssi, you've just arrived. You can't leave just yet. That's not how it works", Hwayoung says, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. He shamelessly perches himself on Namjoon's seat, not caring about coming off as rude.

Just then Jungkook notices that Namjoon isn't there anymore. His husband seems to have disappeared somewhere. Probably roped to the open bar by one of his colleagues. The thought makes him sigh. He's not sure he wants to deal with Hwayoung right now. Namjoon obviously dislikes him for whatever reason. His behaviour doesn't seem particularly polite either.

"Oh, no, my son feels a little sick, I think", Jungkook says, looking at Jimin with concern. Hwayoung snorts. "He seems fine to me, Jungkook-ssi. And I'm sure he's a strong boy. Aren't you, Jimin-ah?", he looks at the seventeen year old who starts shifting in his chair, clearly uncomfortable.

"Right", he answers timidly, not meeting Hwayoung's eyes. Jungkook bites his lip. This man is making his kid uncomfortable and he hates that he can't do anything about it. They're in an official setting, he can't possibly ruin Namjoon's image in front of everyone by asking Hwayoung to leave them alone. Even though he knows Namjoon won't really mind.

"See, he's fine. You don't need to worry about him", Hwayoung smiles sweetly. He's a handsome man, Jungkook notices. It doesn't do anything to hide his ugly, sarcastic behaviour though. "Still, I think it'd be better for us to leave now. Namjoon can handle being by himself, Hwayoung-ssi", he says, trying to smile as nicely as he can.

"Oh, please, just call me hyung. Namjoonie is my friend since college. We used to be pretty close and even though we had lost touch for a few years, I think I'd like to start afresh with him. And step one is befriending his family so please, there's no need of formalities, Jungkook-ssi", Hwayoung smiles back.

Jungkook knows what he's doing. He mentally sighs, frustrated. "Then you can just call me Jungkook, I guess", he can't even bother to keep the obvious disinterest out of his tone anymore. Hwayoung is starting to get annoying, trying to act all sweet and friendly with him. It'd be cute if Namjoon didn't dislike him but he does so Jungkook can't bring himself to think about a possible friendship blooming between them.

"Jungkook-ah, that's—", Hwayoung starts speaking excitedly, eyes lighting up.

"Hwayoung", Namjoon's voice cuts him off. Jungkook doesn't even hide the sigh he lets out, relieved. "I really don't wanna create a scene here. Please go to your table. Your boyfriend is probably looking for you", Namjoon says dismissively. Hwayoung frowns at him. "My boyfriend?", he asks, seemingly clueless.

"The man you were with?", Namjoon provides. Hwayoung looks at him for a moment too long before laughing exaggeratedly. "Oh, Namjoon-ah. I don't have a boyfriend. He's just a casual hook up", he clarifies with a shrug. Taehyung makes a face at him and Jungkook almost laughs before realising how inappropriate it is to talk about these things in front of his kids.

"Hwayoung, leave", Namjoon grits out, annoyed. Hwayoung shrugs and stands up, brushing his suit with his hands. "You're no fun. You weren't like this in college. We used to be best friends. What happened to you? Is family life fucking with your head?", he asks innocently.

Namjoon huffs. He turns to look at Jungkook. "Babe, is it okay if you guys leave now? Wait for me in the car. I'll be there in five minutes", he instructs, looking regretful. Jungkook smiles up at him, shaking his head. "It's fine. Don't worry", he assures. "Mimi, Tae, come, let's go", he says to the teenagers who are quick to get off of their chairs, probably looking forward to leaving.

Namjoon accepts a kiss on the cheek from Jungkook and watches as he walks away with Jimin and Taehyung in tow. He's stopped by a few guests before he's completely out of the venue. He then turns to Hwayoung who's sporting an extremely bored expression.

"I didn't want to insult you in front of my kids but listen here, we aren't friends. We never were. You dated Jackson for a while so I had to tolerate you and your shitty behaviour for him. Don't be mistaken. I never liked you. And my dislike for you only increased after you fucking broke my best friend's heart. And I know how you are so you better stay away from my family and keep your dick in your fucking pants around them. Not that I plan on letting you meet them ever again but you better get the memo", Namjoon spits, pissed off.

Hwayoung simply chuckles. "Bold of you to assume you can police me and my behavior. And I'm going to find a way to meet them if I absolutely have to", he says. Namjoon considers punching him before realizing he's not really worth ruining his reputation for. He glares at him one last time before starting to walk away.

"Your older son is quite cute, by the way".

"What'd you say?", Namjoon turns around to ask, not having heard him the first time.

Hwayoung shrugs, smiling sarcastically.

"Have a good night, Namjoon-ah".

💓

Y'all I'm so excited for butter and don't!!! Y'all better stream both or I'll eat your firstborn!!!

Ps. I'm so excited for Nostalgia updates this week. Y'all ain't surviving my tear-inducing attacks. Buckle up!!