Chapter Thirty-One

Scarlett was on the ground grasping at her throat, feeling the warmth of her blood pooling in her hand and down her arm.

Alpha Argent and her father had both shifted into their wolf form. Tearing at one another, fur flying around them. Asher and Hunter were fighting, Hunter too injured from Scarlett attacking him earlier to shift and Asher too angry to even think about shifting. The knife Hunter used against Scarlett laid discarded a distance away from the pair.

Out of the trees lining the pack house, Theo and Rhys burst, attacking the wolves who pounced on Lilith and Carter. Scarlett, although bleeding from her neck and her vision blurry, she could see Carter was no longer where she had last seen him.

Instead, he was right in front of her, ripping his shirt off and putting it against Scarlett's neck. She tried to form words, tried to ask how he could withstand the wolfsbane.

"Don't talk," Carter held the shirt against her neck, applying pressure. "I take small amounts of wolfsbane each day to achieve immunity. It seems my experiment worked."

He looked at the two alphas attacking one another, the other wolves fighting Theo and Rhys, and finally to Hunter and Asher. His eyes narrowed in on the man he once called a friend. Scarlett had never seen him look so determined, so focused. He tore his gaze from Hunter to Scarlett. "You should heal in a few minutes, it doesn't seem to be too deep but don't move, it will make it worse."

Scarlett didn't want to nod, she opted for a blink in response instead. Carter gave her one last look before he threw himself into the fight between Hunter and Asher. The action seemed to have surprised Hunter because his eyes went wide when Carter jumped on him after Hunter had just landed a blow to Asher's gut.

Carter was relentless, throwing punch after punch to Hunter's face. Hunter had no time to recover from any of the blows, blood spewing from his nose and mouth. Hunter chuckled when Carter paused for a moment. "You're too soft to kill me, Carter."

"There was a reason I was named Beta over you," Carter growled. He grabbed Hunter's collar of his torn up shirt, forcing him to sit up.

Asher looked stunned at his friend, who never seemed to have an aggressive bone in his body.

Hunter, despite having a sickeningly swollen face, arched a brow. "Oh, really? Because you're smart?"

"No," Carter bit. "Because I'm not a lying bastard."

Before Hunter could respond, Carter took Hunter's head in his hands. With a violent twist, Hunter's neck snapped, his body instantly going limp from underneath him.

Carter got up off Hunter, both him and Asher making there way to Scarlett, when Asher screamed her name. "Scarlett!"

Instinctively, Scarlett ducked to the side, knowing there was someone likely behind her. Fortunately, Scarlett was right. Unfortunately, she tumbled onto the ground as she moved. Now, the redhead who drugged Lilith with wolfsbane straddled Scarlett. She held the knife over Scarlett's heart. "Alpha Blackburn deserves a daughter who is loyal."

Scarlett choked on her own blood as she laughed. "Alpha Blackburn can go to Hell."

Before the redhead could plunge the knife into Scarlett's heart, a yelp sounded and everyone's attention landed on the two Alpha's fighting. Now, only one stood and it wasn't Alpha Argent, who laid in a pool of his blood, his large wolf eyes lifeless.

Asher released a horrible scream, instantly shifting into his wolf form, zeroing in on her father. Theo had finished off the wolf he had been fighting and he lunged with Asher, the two of them attacking her father viciously.

Carter focused on the redhead, eyeing something in her back pocket. There were a couple of syringes of wolfsbane, extras, Scarlett supposed. Scarlett stopped trying to push the girl away. Instead, she reached in the girl's pocket and stabbed her with one of the syringes. She went limp and fell on top of Scarlett. Carter pulled her off effortlessly. He leaned over Scarlett. "She reopened the wond. I need to get you to the pack house."

Scarlett tried to shake her head. She would heal, she would be fine. It was Asher who needed help. She coughed, blood erupting from her lips and dripping down her cheeks. "Ash."

Carter looked back at Asher and Theo, and now Rhys, all fighting Brennan. He shook his head. "Asher has enough help. Scarlett, you're going to die if you don't get help."

She didn't care. She didn't care if she bled out. At least she could be reunited with her mother, with Zoey and her brother, and Zion. At least she knew Asher would be safe.

Carter moved to pick Scarlett up off the ground when another yelp arouse. She couldn't turn her head fully, but her eyes could move far enough to see her father's grey, lifeless eyes staring into hers.

Her vision blurred, darkness clouding the edges of her eyes as she stared into them. Her father was dead, and soon, so would she.

"NO!" she heard a yell that sounded like it came from miles away, but she knew it was right beside her. Asher pulled her into his arms, one of his hands holding her cheek. His hazel eyes, his beautiful hazel eyes were lined with tears. "Don’t go, baby, please don't go. I can't lose you too."

Scarlett tried to smile, tried to reassure him it would be okay. Her hand trembled as she reached upward and touched his cheek. "I-"

She coughed again, blood spurting from her mouth, dripping down her chin. And soon, she saw nothing.