Chapter Eight

Asher must've gained enough strength or anger because in a flash, he pinned his father to the floor, knocking over the chairs. He held his father in chokehold, veins bulging from his temple. "That's enough."

"No, my dear boy, it's not. Get off me, let's make a deal," Mr. Argent whispered under the tight grasp of his son. "We can end this once and for all."

His promising words sparked something in Ash because he got up, letting go of his father. He righted the chairs as his father got up and then sat in one of them as Scarlett leaned against the wall she had just been pushed up against, trying to catch her breath. "Okay, what the hell is going on here?"

"Scar, I'm so sorry. Please, just go back home with Carter and Hunter," Ash pleaded, looking utterly defeated.

Scarlett was about to respond when Mr. Argent interrupted. "No, no. Your mate must stay. I promise to keep my hands to myself. Apologies for the outburst, I'm afraid the closer the full moon approaches, the more irritated I get."

Scarlett let out a snort. "You really think you're a werewolf, huh?"

"I don't think, Scarlett," Asher's father stated. "I know I am and I know your beloved is one too, and soon, so will you. Just ask Asher."

She looked to Asher, her heart racing. "Ash, what is he talking about? This can't be true, this is impossible." Ash stayed silent, causing Scarlett to become impatient. "ANSWER ME."

Ash's eyes started to water but no tears came out. "It's true."

"You're nuts," Scarlett laughed, although there was no humor in it. She looked between him and his father. "You're both insane."

Without waiting for a response, Scarlett turned on her heel and ran out of the house.

***

Scarlett drove around the town, unsure as to where to go. She didn't want to go home; she was scared Asher would be there. She knew he and his had issues with one another but Scarlett didn't think they had literal issues. What had made them so delusional to believe they were werewolves of all things? Were Carter and Hunter in on this craziness too?

Scarlett looked out the window into Leon's diner and noticed that the lights were off. She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. The diner was always open until two a.m. on the weekends, it was the town's hotspot. Pulling over and putting the car in park, she exited it and peered into the diner windows. Tables were turned over, plates were shattered, and the photos Zoey had taken that Leon displayed on the walls were slashed. Her heart pounding, Scarlett attempted to open the door but it was locked. She frantically searched for a way in when her eyes settled on the potted plant beside the door. Quickly, and admittedly without thinking, Scarlett grabbed the pot and slammed it into the glass door. She put down the pot and slid her hand in to turn the lock, careful not to get her arm caught on the shattered glass. Once the door was unlocked, Scarlett raced in, rushing to the back where Leon always was. It was pitch black, so she flicked on the light, her eyes dancing around the room, trying to spot anything out of the ordinary. To her left, Scarlett noticed a pool of red flowing out of the bottom of the freezer door. With shaking hands, she swung open the door.

There was Leon, or at least, what was left of him. His body was so torn apart, blood was splattered everywhere, including the ceiling. The only way Scarlett could decipher it was Leon was the chunks of blond hair that was soaked in blood and the moonstone ring Zoey had always worn before her death, Leon had put it on a chain and worn it around his neck. Something behind her crashed and Scarlett let out a scream but nothing came out as someone clamped their hand over her mouth to stop her. Scarlett started to thrash and kick, trying to get out of their grasp.

"Shh, Scar it's me," the person whispered. Despite this, she still thrashed. "Scarlett! It's me, Ash. Stop fighting, you'll draw attention and we don't know if the killer is still here."

Scarlett stopped fighting but was not at all relaxed by Ash's presence. He led her out of the diner while she noticed Carter and Hunter inspecting the scene. Once Ash and Scarlett got in the car and he started driving, she smacked him on the shoulder, causing the car to swerve slightly. "What the hell is wrong with you? Did you leave for a mental institution four years ago? Because clearly you should go back."

"Scar," Ash said calmly, righting the car, "I am not crazy and while my father's mental stability is questionable at times, he also isn't crazy."

"Did you kill Leon and Zoey?" She asked in a near whisper.

Asher slammed the brakes resulting in a loud screech. He looked at her, looking more hurt than Scarlett had ever seen him. "Do you seriously think I would kill your best friend and her brother?"

Scarlett threw up her hands, feeling completely defeated. "Well, no one was dying until you showed up and you just happened to be there when Zoey died and when I found Leon. What am I supposed to think?"

"I—" he started but then stopped. He rubbed his jaw, his scar wrinkling as he did so. "I don't know who's killing people, Scar but it isn't me. It's wolves."

She let out a cruel laugh. "Right. You and your father think you are werewolves."

"Alright," Asher snapped, tearing the seatbelt off. "Get out."

"Excuse me?" Scarlett questioned, arching her eyebrows in disbelief. "I will not."

"GET—" he began loudly but then took a deep breath in an effort to collect himself. "—out of the car, please."

Without waiting for her response, he got out into the dark, empty street beckoning her to come join him.

Lord, Scarlett prayed silently, if I die tonight, please take me to my mother, wherever that is.

With shaking legs, Scarlett got out of the car and walked over to Asher. The headlights reflected off Asher's eyes, making them look more yellow than gold. He took a deep breath. "I'm going to prove it."

"By all means, go ahead!" She said sarcastically, slapping her hands against her sides.

He didn't bother to reply to her disbelief, instead, he closed his eyes. A few moments passed and nothing happened. Just when Scarlett was going to call him out on his bullshit once again, a twig snapped. No, not a twig. A bone. And then many bones.

Asher lurched forward, his back hunching and his limbs bending and contorting in impossible angles. Where his skin and clothes should be, fur sprouted, shedding away his hoodie and sweats. Where his arms and legs should be, was fur and four wolf-like legs and paws. And where his human face should be was one of a wolf.

Suddenly, her stomach rolled and Scarlett doubled over, vomiting on the paved street.