Chapter Eighteen

After Scarlett and Asher's picnic, they headed back for the house. They got to the backyard where fewer members were training as most were now handling the perimeter. As they approached the table where Zion and Scarlett had breakfast the day they first met, Lilith came out of absolutely nowhere. She flipped her hair over her shoulder, her lips pursed in disapproval. "Scarlett, I see you've stolen Asher away from us today."

"I—" Scarlett began but she cut her off with a sharp look.

"You may not understand, being new here and all, but Asher is going to be the Alpha and he has important matters to handle outside of you, darling."

Scarlett's first instinct was to kill her. Zoey would've cheered her on as she did it. But she knew that wasn't going to do any good, so Scarlett smiled tightly at Asher. "I'm going to check on Zion or Hunter or be anywhere but here."

"No," Asher stated, pulling her close to him. "Scarlett is my mate, Lilith. When you disrespect her, you disrespect me. Set your bitchiness aside and do your damn job, or else you're out of the pack. Got it?"

Lilith paled and looked as though she was going to puke. "My apologies."

Without waiting for a response from Asher, she turned and disappeared into the pack house. Asher and Scarlett exchanged a look and for whatever reason, they burst out laughing.

"She looked so upset," she said, through her laughter.

Asher shrugged his shoulders. "Serves her right for mistreating my mate." He kissed her hands and Scarlett leaned into him as he put his chin on the top of her head. "Remember when Ian Cosgrove asked you out to the Spring Fling?"

"Yep," Scarlett giggled. "You punched him in the stomach for no reason."

Asher scoffed. "You should've heard the way he was talking about you in the locker room, then you wouldn't say my punch wasn't warranted."

She moved back and smiled. "What made you think of Ian Cosgrove?"

Ash sat down on the chair at the table and pulled her by the loops of her shorts so she could sit on his lap. "He and like, every other guy had a huge crush on you. No one had a crush one me."

Scarlett leaned het head on his chest and sighed. "Because no girl was stupid enough to believe you were interested in anyone but me. Punching Ian Cosgrove probably didn't help that matter."

Asher chuckled and began playing with her hair, twirling strands in between his fingers. "When I left, I know you said you never moved on, but did you ever go on dates?"

"Once," she said quietly.

Asher stilled. "Who was it with?"

"Ian Cosgrove," Scarlett whispered with false guilt.

"No, you didn't," Asher said in disbelief. He moved his head so he could look her in the eyes and when he saw she wasn't lying; he broke out into a fit of laughter. "Ian fucking Cosgrove! What did you see in that string bean?"

Scarlett swatted his chest but she felt herself blush. "I don't know, I just knew he liked me so I thought maybe I'd like him if I gave him a chance. You're telling me you never went out on a date or whatever after you left?"

"Nope," he replied, kissing the top of her head. "Lilith pestered me for a while but eventually she gave up a couple of years ago. Maybe seeing you just reignited it."

"Maybe we should set her up with Ian Cosgrove," Scarlett mumbled, causing Asher to burst into another fit of laughter. Once they both stopped laughing, she got up from Asher's lap. "I'm going to go check on Hunter and then see how Zion's doing at the perimeter. See you at dinner?"