Chapter Seven

Scarlett didn't remember much about Asher's childhood home, mainly because he hardly ever let her or Zoey visit if his father was home, which was majority of the time. The only time she remembered being at his house is when she walked him home while she was on her way to her Gran's farm to pick up some fabric for her mother, who was sewing a Halloween costume for her. After he kissed her on the cheek and went to his front door, Scarlett waved, which he happily returned with a great big grin. Everything was great, at least, whe thought it was, but then she never saw him again – until after the attack.

It looked like a ski lodge. Made of dark panelled wood and stone, with at least three storeys. The front door was a large double door with a golden knocker which was the shape of wolf with an open mouth. Asher knocked on the door and it opened nearly instantly. Scarlett was expecting his father to open the door, but instead, a man did. He had what looked like animal slashes across his face, similar to Ash's long singular scar that occupied most of the left side of his face, but more jagged and dipped into his eye, causing the man to wince naturally. "So the prodigal son returns. Your father will be pleased."

"Yeah whatever, just take me to his office," Asher snapped at the man.

The man smiled devilishly. "Your father will be even more pleased when he sees you brought blood, old and new."

"They're not going to see him; they're just waiting here." Ash said through his teeth.

The man clicked his tongue as he shook his head. "No can do. The Alpha says anyone who comes with you are required to see him as well."

Ash looked like he was about to lose it but Scarlett took her hand in his and whispered in his ear. "Ash, let's just go see him and get this over with."

Not responding and gripping her hand tightly he led them through the house, however, it didn't escape her notice that Carter and Hunter seemed to know where they were going. Why hadn't Scarlett ever been here before, but those two, whom she had never seen in her life until recently, are more familiar with Asher's house than her? Without realizing it as she was too lost in my own thoughts, they ended up in Mr. Argent's office.

"Well, well, good to see your mate knows how to follow instructions," Mr. Argent mused, his dark eyes gleaming in some sort of ill-mannered happiness.

Ash pushed her back so she was closer to Carter and Hunter. Hunter took a step-in front of her, while Carter placed a gentle hand on her shoulder in efforts to calm her down, as if he knew every inch of her was petrified to be here.

"You wanted to see me, father?"

"Yes," he sighed, sounding slightly annoyed. "Please, sit. We may be here for awhile."

"I don't think that is necessary," Ash said. "I'm sure we can settle this swiftly."

His father chuckled. "I'm sure that's what you'd like, but I'm sorry to tell you, that won't happen. So, sit."

The group of them took their seats in the cushioned chairs that were positioned across from where Mr. Argent sat. Asher's father remained silent for a while, staring at me intently as he did so. "How much as my son told you? I'm assuming not much seeing as you look perpetually confused as well as terrified."

"I—"

Ash leaned forward. "She knows enough."

"Oh?" Mr. Argent cocked a brow. "So, she knows her mate is destined to be the next Alpha, yet he refuses to accept his role? Furthermore, by her mate being the next Alpha she by extension, will become the next Luna?"

Scarlett jerked her head back. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand." She looked to Asher, desperate for him to say something, anything to provide her with some insight as to what was going on, but he just glared at his father, not saying a word.

"Thing One and Two can leave now," Mr. Argent said dismissively, waving his hand lazily toward the door.

Although hesitant, Carter and Hunter left without a word. Once it was just the three of them, Mr. Argent stood up and paced behind them. "It's strange, really. My son finds his mate at such a young age. A human no less, but as fate would have it, she gets bit and will soon become the very thing he tried so desperately wanted to escape from. Why? All for her. Oh, the irony."

Without warning, Scarlett was being pinned to the wall, Mr. Argent's large hand tightly around her throat. Asher tried to pry his father off me but Mr. Argent backhanded his son across the room. He tsked, shaking his head. "If you spent more time training rather than brooding about your life, you would have been able to save your mate. And quite a mate she is."

Asher's father leaned forward, placed his face in the crook of her neck and took a deep inhale. "You smell divine. I can see why my son is so taken by you. Yes, there's something about you... Let's see your bite, shall we?"

She tried kicking her way out of his grasp but it was useless. Ripping open Scarlett's floral blouse, exposing her chest and the hideous bite that covered it and much of my shoulder. His eyes gleamed. "Oh, you're definitely going to shift alright. There's no way a bite that deep would not result in a shift."

"You're crazy," Scarlett spat out through gasping breaths.

"No, my pet," he whispered in her ear. "I'm a werewolf."