Chapter 2-Did I really Just ask Her that?

Derrick’s P.O.V

“I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.”

Albert Einstein

I smiled at the girl in the front of the room, trying to think of something to ask her. Suddenly it came to me, “What are your parent’s jobs?”

Her smile immediately vanished and her body turned rigid, but she answered, “My mother is a corporate business owner, and my father is,” Her words caught and tears filled her eyes as she fought out the last part of her answer, “He’s dead.”

I watched the tears fall down her cheeks, and I saw the emotions dance across her face as she ran out.  As the door closed I stood and walked out behind her, anger seared through my body. I was mad at her for crying, but I was even madder at myself. Did I really just ask her that?

Though all my anger vanished when I saw that bright red hair covering her beautiful face and when I heard her crying I wanted to comfort her.

“Evelyn?” I asked her name, I wasn’t sure why but I needed to know if she would respond.

She nodded her head but didn’t speak, instead she looked at me with those ghostly blue eyes and I almost took her in my arms, but I didn’t. I sat next to her and just let a comfortable silence fell over us.  We just sat there and then Sierra walked up, her blond hair pulled back tightly in a bun and as she walked up her voice pierced through the silence, “Oh look the school has a new little slut.” She smirked at Evelyn and then looked at me, “And look at this the schools own Goth boy hottie is messing around with the new girl.” She paused, “Does this mean you actually have a heart? Or are you just stringing her along like you did every girl?”

I met her eyes, “Well your one to talk about being a slut Sierra. And to answer your questions I was making sure Evelyn was ok because I upset her, that was all she means nothing to me seeing as I just met her.” My voice came out flat and emotionless, but I had to protect Evelyn even if it meant I had to hurt her.

Sierra said nothing else, but just huffed and walked off. When she was gone I stood and looked down at Evelyn, “Do you need help finding your next class, the bell is about to ring.”

She stood grabbing her bag and faced me, “No.” I had to strain to hear her, but I couldn’t help but notice how graceful she was, and how calm she remained when she should be upset. I nodded at her and began walking towards my next class, Math, with Evelyn on my mind.

*

Math was over before I knew it and I was off to my last class, music. I walked in the doors and a flash of bright red hair caught my eye, and that was when I saw Evelyn talking to the vocalist teacher Mrs. Strambi.  Evelyn seemed nervous but Mrs. S calmed her quickly. I walked towards the two just as Mr. Morris, the guitar teacher, spotted me, “Derrick, since we have a new student today, we aren’t going to practice, and instead she will demonstrate her talents.”

“Yes sir.” I replied dryly, walking away from him and going to stand by my friends Lewis and Jamie.

Jamie looked at me, “Dude have you seen the new girl?”

“Ya.” I replied

“She’s hot!” He shouted, and I only nodded, “Any idea what her talent will be man?”

I was about to reply when Lewis spoke up, “She obviously sings, and might play guitar.”

Before Jamie or I could respond Mrs. S spoke, “Class give a warm welcome to Evelyn. She will demonstrate her talents and then we will give her feedback.” She then nodded to Evelyn who was sitting at the piano, and suddenly music filled the class.

After a few notes Evelyn began to sing.

“Playground school bell rings again….

Rain clouds come to play again…

Has no one told you she's not breathing?

Hello, I'm your mind giving you someone to talk to

Hello…”

If I smile and don't believe,

Soon I know I'll wake from this dream

don’t try to fix me,

I'm not broken….

Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide

don’t cry… Hello…

Suddenly I know I'm not sleeping...

Hello, I'm still here,

All that's left of yesterday….”

When she finished singing the class erupted in cheers, we all knew the song. It was “Hello” by Evanescence. Though in my opinion Evelyn sang it with more emotion and heart than anyone ever has, and when she stood she looked so at peace with the world as if singing made the world disappear.

“Ok class,” Mrs. Strambi said, “Let’s start with our comments and critique. Anyone have any advice for Evelyn on how she can improve?” No hands raised, no one spoke, we all just looked at the girl in the front of the room. Her eyes where pointed at the ground and her hands played with the hem of her shirt. Mrs. S sighed, “Evelyn you can sit down and we will split the class.”

Mr. Morris stood, “Ok, guitars, basses, and violins with me, singers with Mrs. Strambi.” Everyone stood and went to follow the teachers, and as I walked out I heard the piano playing. I knew it was Evelyn. She was the only one in this class that played piano.

Authors note: So what did you all think of Derrick's P.O.V. He is a bit different I know but over time he gets better. Vote and comment.

picture of Derrick on side

Lots of Love- Lizzy :)