Chapter 17

"You've created a monster, Jessie," Elizabeth said heatedly. "Do you know what Mom did back there?"

"Let me guess, she offered you a diaper again?" Jess ventured.

"She calls me over to the stall where she'd just changed you and, holding a diaper in her hand, tells me it's 'my turn.' I swear! In public no less!"

Jess had to laugh. "I'm sorry, Liz. I'm not laughing at you. I know it must have been embarrassing."

Just then, Mrs. Anderson caught up with the two girls back where her husband had parked the car and was waiting. He didn't say a word during the exchange between Liz and Jess; he just rolled his eyes and kept his mouth shut.

"Elizabeth, honey," Mrs. Anderson said calmly, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you like that. I was just trying to be funny. I didn't mean to upset you."

"Hmph," Elizabeth retorted indignantly. "Just cut it out, okay?"

"Yes, dear. Now, can you be Mommy's big girl and check your sister's diaper from time to time and tell me if it's wet? I don't want to wait that long before changing her again if it can be helped. I especially would like to avoid any leakage."

"Sure, Mom. Whatever."

From there, the journey continued without incident. Before long, the monstrosity that was the Procter & Gamble complex came into view. It was about ten minutes before noon when the Andersons pulled into the long stretch that was the driveway. There was a security guard at the entrance directing traffic, and Mr. Anderson rolled his window down to talk to him.

"Good morning," the guard said.

"Good morning," said Mr. Anderson. "My daughter, Jessica Anderson, will be participating in the Pampers Princess conference."

"Very good. Follow this road until it curves around a bend, and the Pampers facility will be on the right. There are giant banners and tons of people, so you can't miss it. Enjoy your stay at P&G!"

Like the guard said, around the bend, they saw a Pampers logo banner atop a large tent and a throng of people standing underneath it.

Jessica toddled over to her Mommy and took her hand. Mr. Anderson and Elizabeth walked on either side of them towards the registration table underneath the giant Pampers tent. After waiting in line for what seemed an eternity, she reached the table where she turned in her paperwork.

"Welcome, Jessica. My name is Michele," said the young woman sitting at the table. "Aren't you just the cutest thing! Here is a brand new Pampers Teen diaper bag. Inside you'll find all sorts of giveaways from the various sponsors of the event. If my memory serves, there's a pacifier and a bottle in there, as well as a pair of frilly plastic panties for you to wear over your diapers if you so desire. They can help prevent leaks. If you'll come this way, I'll introduce you to your hall babysitter, and she'll take you up to your room."

Michele led the way over to a table with a sign on the front that said "Babysitters" in the pink Pampers font. "Now, let's see. You're on floor three, so your babysitter is Kristen. Kristen!" Michele called.

A stunning young woman who looked to be about twenty-five years of age, wearing short denim shorts and a Pampers Princess t-shirt, walked over to meet Jessica and her family.

"Jessica Anderson and her family," Michele said by way of introduction, "I'd like you to meet Kristen Lawrence. Jessica, Kristen will be your babysitter for the next two weeks. You can approach her with any questions and concerns throughout your two-week stay."

"Nice meeting you, Michele," said Mrs. Anderson, "and you as well, Kristen."

"The pleasure's all mine," Michele said, "and if you will now excuse me, I have other duties to attend to. On behalf of everyone here at Pampers, Jessica, I wish you the best experiences during your stay here. Kristen, you can take it from here."

"Thanks, Michele," Kristen said, bidding Michele good afternoon and leading the Andersons towards Jessica's nursery. "Now, Jessica, as Michele told you, I'm going to be your hall babysitter for the next two weeks. I will be in charge of changing your diapers and answering any questions you may have about Pampers or the Princess program here. We went through a rigorous five-week training program to learn to be good babysitters. Pampers trusts us to be able to care for all your needs."

"Wow, sis," Elizabeth interjected, "looks like Pampers went all out for you little ones." Jess smiled. She was beginning to sense that her sister was right about this whole thing.

"This is your nursery here, Jess," Kristen said, opening the door. Everyone was taken aback by what they saw: two white and pink teen-sized cribs on either side of the room and, in the center of the room by the window, a teen-sized changing table. It looked so pretty. "Here, on the wall," Kristen pointed to a walkie-talkie attached to the wall, "is the baby monitor. If you need anything during your stay, a bottle, a diaper change, just press the button to let me know. That monitor is tied to a cell phone they provide the staff with so that you can reach me anytime, day or night. And here comes your nursery-mate, Jill Stevenson. Jill, I want you to meet your roommate, Jessica Anderson, and family"

"Pleased to meet you, Jessica. I'm so excited to be here," Jill giggled.

"There will be a meeting tonight for all the babies in the hall at five o'clock, in which policies and procedures will be explained in greater depth. After that, we will go down to dinner. For now, you and Jill should get to know each other a little and relax. I'll come and get you when it's time." Lowering the rail on Jessica's crib, Kristen made to leave the room. "Just feel free to contact me if you need anything."

"Thank you so much, Kristen. I sure will!" Jessica said, excited. She sat down on her crib. Suddenly she realized that her parents and sister would be leaving. "I'm really gonna miss you all these next two weeks," Jess said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I can't tell you how much your support has meant to me."

"Do you need to be changed before we go, sweetie?" Mrs. Anderson asked.

"Yes, please, Mommy." Jill watched as Jessica hopped up on the changing table. With extreme tenderness, Mrs. Anderson unfastened Jessie's wet diaper and slid it out from underneath her. She cleaned her ever so gently with a baby wipe and sprinkled baby powder all over her, rubbing it in soothingly. Bringing her diaper up between her legs and fastening it into place, she patted her daughter's diapered behind for the last time before being separated for two weeks.

Suddenly, somewhere deep within herself, Elizabeth felt a twinge of jealousy. Watching her mother change Jessie's diaper so affectionately made her realize how her sister must have felt when she came along and divided her parents' attention. Now, Baby Jessie had Mommy's undivided attention. She almost wished she were in Jessie's place. Was that offer still on the table? Was her mother serious?

Suddenly, repulsed by her thoughts, Elizabeth shook herself back to her wits. She needed to be her big sister's babysitter when this whole conference thing was over. Still, she couldn't help but envy her sister right now.

Mrs. Anderson gave Jessie a big hug and a kiss, and both Mr. Anderson and Elizabeth followed suit.

"Take care, Jess, and have fun!" Liz said.

"Thanks so much for everything. I will never be able to thank you enough."

"That's what family is for," said Mrs. Anderson.