CHAPTER 30

THE MEMORIES from the original Victoria flooded like a dam into Tori. The entire time since she came in this prison cell wherein only those who awaited the trials stayed. It was not as dark and smelly as the one that Mia and Allistair were staying in before. But like any other cell, it was devoid of any telltale sign of luxury or window to let the air flow freely. All in all, it was pretty clean for Tori. Though she knew that Sabina tried to ask to let her stay in an isolated space, Rowan's bargain changed the Duke of Castaña's mind.

Tori was still wearing her indoor dress even when Lily brought her a much more comfortable one. Along with it, the chair she was sitting on and the table where the tea set was placed with her favorite chamomile tea were the things that Lily brought by Rowan's command by the power of the bargain he made with the Duke.

The steel bars of the prison cell surrounded the calm Tori as she sipped her favorite tea. With her eyes closed, she only heard the door open which meant there was a visitor for her first day in the cell.

"Where's your loyal dog?" The mocking voice of a very familiar person made Tori smile. Setting her teacup down, she opened her red eyes just to serve herself more tea while not even acknowledging the presence of the newly arrived visitor.

"Have you become mute now, Victoria?" Her mocking voice made Tori finally turn her head.

"I can't understand your nonstop barking, dearest sister. After all, we will never be on the same level. This cell? This won't change anything at all." It was now Tori's turn to mock.

Sabina was busy gripping the cold steel bars.

Tori continued with her voice filled with malice. "Never forget, Sabina. You may become the Duchess, but the very fact that you're a common whore's daughter will never change. It's in your blood, dearest sister."

Her angry sapphire eyes blazed with fury for Tori, which was equally returned by the latter with a smiling face. "Never forget who's behind these bars, Victoria!"

Shrugging like it was nothing at all, Tori pouted like a child. "Trust me. I know. Thanks to this cell, you can't reach me with your barbaric claws though. Are you sure you're not the one who's supposed to be here?"

"Hah! You talk big for someone who's about to lose everything." Leaning over the steel bars, Sabina smiled at Tori like an insane person who just won. "Do not ever forget that I, a half-blood, took everything from a pureblood like you."

You're not right in the head, huh?

Shrugging nonchalantly for the second time, Tori crossed her legs like she always did when she was still Talia the Queen Bee-tch. "What did you take away from me, dearest sister? My freedom? My bloodline? My pride? The so-called, father's love?" Laughing slightly, Tori looked at Sabina as if she were a big joke. 

Well, she's a big joke. "Do I look like someone who lost everything, dearest sister? You should evaluate what everything truly means."

Losing her cool, Sabina tightened her grip on the steel bars as sapphire eyes sent daggers to Tori, who was now back to sipping her tea. "Let's see how your calm façade will break when the noble trial comes tomorrow." Not waiting for her reply, Tori's half-sister left the prison cell with her head held high.

She looks like a fucking duck.

Trials, hmmm...

Setting her teacups down, Tori stared blankly at the wall. The sound of the door opening meant another visitor. Again?

The familiar silhouette of Rowan made Tori smile. Ah, my dear investment is here. Choosing you to be my knight is an excellent investment indeed.